Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 166 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#919067 - 07/17/17 08:17 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: JasonB]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vanceboro, NC
I guess one concern would be maring the barrel, especially the edges of the flats. Lemmie tell ya, a correctly fitted breech plug is tight. Barrel clamping has been a issue for a long time, there are original guns that show marking or distortion just forward of the breech from the problem. The aluminum blocks worked perfectly. So did the wrench, once I got a damn handle on it!

This is all I was after, two little index marks perfectly aligned....took about $100 in tools and a days work to get them like that. I'm obsessive I guess..... grin

#919128 - 07/17/17 05:42 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
The alternative is nasty gas leaks in your face.....ungood.

#919213 - 07/18/17 01:47 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

I am discouraged. I have been inletting the tang and it was going pretty good. Not sure how it "got away from me" but the thing looks awful. The front of the tang nearest the barrel needed to be opened up a bit and I thought I had taken only a tiny bit off but the side opened up considerably near the barrel. I can likely "fix" it further down the road to not be so unsightly, but the fact that I have to do that at all has me highly ticked off. Tidbit: I do not believe my chisels are as sharp as they should be.

#919243 - 07/18/17 05:08 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

for oops, especially on expensive pieces of wood, mix some sawdust/shavings w/glue, mush it into the gap(overfill) and let it set up. when you sand for finish level few will notice the oops. This has saved my bacon many times.

From what I see in your pic, you still have a bit to go to get the rear of the tang down to wood level.....but the barrel appears to be where it needs to be. Cutout for the barrel deep enough???? Are you going to bed it????

#919262 - 07/18/17 10:46 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Just_Bill]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
you still have a bit to go to get the rear of the tang down to wood level....

I may stand corrected but I believe that tang can be bent to match the stock conture. The problem I have now is. when about 1/3 seated, the barrel is tight against the rear of the stock. A tap or two with the rubber hammer, seating it firmly (to the proper depth actually) causes the end of the barrel to "cam" forward an unacceptable amount.

#919268 - 07/19/17 06:27 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As I recall, someone else did the barrel cutting. Could it need a bit more??

#919285 - 07/19/17 10:12 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Just_Bill]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By Just_Bill
As I recall, someone else did the barrel cutting. Could it need a bit more??

I figure the best way to check that is to remove the plug again and see if the same thing happens with just the barrel. If it gets shoved forward as its seated, then the end of the channel is the problem. If not, its the breechplug, probably the lug.

#919323 - 07/19/17 05:24 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sounds like a good approach. Best to go slowly with that stock.

#919341 - 07/19/17 09:52 PM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Just_Bill]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Best to go slowly with that stock.

I am. On average its taking me twice as long to make a mistake as normal.

#919347 - 07/20/17 05:34 AM Re: Southern Mountain Rifle re-start. [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

grin

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.