Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (AnthraciteSparky, 2 invisible), 188 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#913318 - 05/09/17 02:33 PM What material to use to repaint SunDek pool patio
Suenmark98 Offline
fanatic

Loc: Houston TX
I have a classic SunDek pool patio treatment that we love. It was applied in 2013 in a 2 step process: first the textured knock down finish, followed by a paint coat.

The textured finish is fabulous, but the paint coat is stained and scraped in places - and needs repainting.

Can anybody tell me what paint it is, or how I can buy the proper paint so I can repaint my SunDek? Haven't been able to get an answer form my pool co or SunDek - and I am guessing they want me to hire them.

If they continue to stonewall me - is a high quality acrylic pool deck paint basically what they would use, so am I OK as long as I buy a quality 100% acrylic pool deck paint? Will it start to get slippery, thus should I add grit?

I've got CDO - it's the same as OCD, but the letters are in order THE WAY THEY SHOULD BE!!

#918055 - 07/03/17 12:12 PM Re: What material to use to repaint SunDek pool patio [Re: Suenmark98]
Trippstar Offline
veteran

Loc: Alabama
Let me share my experience tho not sure it will help.
When I inherited my pool owners had done nothing to the pool deck. Wasn't even treated concrete and pressure washing did no favors. It was an eyesore, a huge one! I applied a Sherwin Williams sandstone color stain. And several more over the years. It built up and when I uncovered it was spalling. SW said have to strip. No way with cover off and beyond my capabilities. So what I did each spring once uncovered is took a gentle palm sander to the spalling sections--after bleach cleaning with just diluted bleach and push broom and hose--and slapped new product (pigmented stain) on the gaffes. The only time you would notice them is before sun hit them. I think paint per se is the worst treatment for a pool deck but then again am not familiar with SunDec. Just wondering if you could repair the spalling that way...
As to it being slippery when wet, terrible! SW said, and I did, add "shark granules" to stain, but it was useless. I contacted an expert and she said it must be broadcast over stain but it dries to touch so fast in the south it's impossible, not to mention you have to keep a wet coat going constantly.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.