Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
New Reply
Topic Options
#913779 - 05/15/17 05:33 PM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: Hammer]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
All they will need to do is remove cap and reinstall proper ones.

It is just ugly probably will not leak.

"Live today. Forget yesterday. Don't worry about tomorrow. Don't plan ahead. There are exceptions... Life will change." Ed Wood.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#913821 - 05/16/17 10:12 AM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: Hammer]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: So. Florida
Can you get up there and take a picture of the ridge?

#913824 - 05/16/17 10:18 AM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: Able_Dog]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By Able_Dog

That would certainly help confirm the problem. smile

#913841 - 05/16/17 02:11 PM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: Able_Dog]
Hammer Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Northern U.S. where the Winter...

Not right now. I don't own an extension ladder. I have a step ladder that lets me get up to the edge of the roof to clean out the gutters, and that's how I took the pictures I already posted. Now I'm posting one from there that I blew up, which makes it look pixelated, but it's the best I can do right now.

#913846 - 05/16/17 03:04 PM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: Hammer]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By Hammer

Not right now. I don't own an extension ladder. I have a step ladder that lets me get up to the edge of the roof to clean out the gutters, and that's how I took the pictures I already posted. Now I'm posting one from there that I blew up, which makes it look pixelated, but it's the best I can do right now.

Better picture; still not certain BUT those ridge caps sure do look thick. I'd still go with my original thought that the guy cut up architectural shingles to make ridge caps like you normally do with 3-tab shingles.

#913848 - 05/16/17 03:13 PM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: Able_Dog]
Hammer Offline
enthusiast

Better picture; still not certain BUT those ridge caps sure do look thick. I'd still go with my original thought that the guy cut up architectural shingles to make ridge caps like you normally do with 3-tab shingles.

If I were to try fixing this myself, even though I know almost nothing about doing roofing, is it pretty straightforward? I see that I can buy a bundle of the ridge caps for less than $45. Is it a simple process to take off the old ones and put on the new ones? http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Timbertex...40180/100658126

#913855 - 05/16/17 04:02 PM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: Hammer]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It's not complicated, tear off old and put on new as you go. Just make sure your roofing nails are long enough. Notice in your link the architectural shingles and the ridge caps. Some guys make their own from the extra 3-tab bundles that they have left. Your guy probably made them from the architectural bundles he had left...........WRONG.

Ridge caps. Just 2 nails right behid the adhesive seal down strip then the next cap just cover the adhesive strip with maybe a 1/2 inch over lap.

#914194 - 05/19/17 02:37 PM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: code_ceis]
Hammer Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By code_ceis

Does this mean that ridge cap shingles are mainly cosmetic rather than functional? I'm not familiar with their purpose. If they're just cosmetic, then maybe I won't worry about them too much. We did just have a super-heavy rainstorm and the garage didn't leak. If that storm we had didn't make it leak, nothing will. At least for now.

#914197 - 05/19/17 02:52 PM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: Hammer]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny

Does this mean that ridge cap shingles are mainly cosmetic rather than functional? I'm not familiar with their purpose. If they're just cosmetic, then maybe I won't worry about them too much. We did just have a super-heavy rainstorm and the garage didn't leak. If that storm we had didn't make it leak, nothing will. At least for now.

Yes a row of shingles is overlapped front to back to seal. The cap just helps hold all in place.

Sometimes a roofer will wait a while (years in some cases I know) to put on a cap on his house.

At least until the wife points it out. grin smile

U tube

Look at the ends in video that is how it is done with no vent.

Edited by code_ceis (05/19/17 03:01 PM)

"Live today. Forget yesterday. Don't worry about tomorrow. Don't plan ahead. There are exceptions... Life will change." Ed Wood.

#914390 - 05/21/17 02:39 PM Re: What's happening to my garage roof? [Re: code_ceis]
Hammer Offline
enthusiast

Yes a row of shingles is overlapped front to back to seal. The cap just helps hold all in place.

Sometimes a roofer will wait a while (years in some cases I know) to put on a cap on his house.

At least until the wife points it out. grin smile

U tube

Look at the ends in video that is how it is done with no vent.

Ok, I think I understand now. Maybe if the shingles I have up there now get too bad, or I end up selling the house and need it to look nice for people to buy it, I could just remove the ridge cap shingles that are on there now since it would look better than what I currently have. Just as long as my ridge cap shingles curling up don't result in any damage to the shingles around them.

Edited by Hammer (05/21/17 03:06 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.