Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 193 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#914041 - 05/18/17 12:09 AM Service sizes
captain150 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Canada
This isn't really a help question, just a curiosity question about the NEC vs the CEC.

The vast majority of houses in Canada, or at least my area, are 100 amp main service. Even fairly large, newly built houses with central A/C, electric range, electric dryers etc. Space and water heating is almost always gas though.
My own house was built in 2011, has a 64 space panel, and 100 amp service.

Similar houses in the US, from what I can gather online, seem to be going to 200 amp service.

Why the difference? Is it due to code differences or just practices?

#914043 - 05/18/17 05:54 AM Re: Service sizes [Re: captain150]
code_ceis Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: muttonville,ny
Good question. A 100 amp service is large enough for most of the houses we build.

When you do a load calc you do not get over 80 amps very often.

We are going back to 150 amp services in many new track homes.

I think 200 amp panels just got used for more space.

"Live today. Forget yesterday. Don't worry about tomorrow. Don't plan ahead. There are exceptions... Life will change." Ed Wood.

#914056 - 05/18/17 08:21 AM Re: Service sizes [Re: captain150]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
In the US they used to have limit to the number of breakers in a panel. We never had that limit. I think larger panels had more spaces.

#914064 - 05/18/17 09:38 AM Re: Service sizes [Re: jdevlin]
Suenmark98 Offline
fanatic

Loc: Houston TX
Captain -

I too "thought" most new USA homes were 200 amp. But, apparently, things are changing. Anecdotal data: Just sold my wife's 1700 ft2, 10 yr old townhouse - 125 amp panel. My buddy and I are having whole house generators installed. His home is approx 2400 sq ft, built about 7 yrs ago, while mine is about 2750 sq ft, built in 2013. Both are built in the Houston suburbs by nationally known builders. Both houses have one central A/C, 2 fridges, electric ovens, and both laundry rooms have hookups for both gas & electric dryers. His house is 125 amp, mine is 150. Like you stated, we both assumed we had 200 amp when we started talking about gensets. Interesting finding when we had tech reps out to assess what size generator - all 3 said fridges are a minor load these days compared to the old days - guess they are much more efficient and much less drain. They really only focused on A/C size, pool pumps, oven and dryer. Based on all that, we are each getting 16 kw units.

Edited by Suenmark98 (05/18/17 09:38 AM)

Every day is good, and some are even BETTER !!!!

#914126 - 05/18/17 10:03 PM Re: Service sizes [Re: jdevlin]
captain150 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By jdevlin
In the US they used to have limit to the number of breakers in a panel. We never had that limit. I think larger panels had more spaces.

This really makes sense. Thanks for the info. With the new AFCI requirement I can see why that's even more important. My panel uses 1/2" per pole, except for AFCI breakers which are 1" per pole, which drops it down to a 32 space panel.

I'm always curious about differences between US and Canada. The one I run into at work all the time is our industrial voltage is typically 600v, while the US has 480.

#914152 - 05/19/17 09:11 AM Re: Service sizes [Re: captain150]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
Another main difference between US and Canada service panels is the divider between main line and the branch circuits. Canadian panels have a split cover and a divider separating the service entrance cables from the branch circuits. Branch circuits can NOT pass through the service entrance section.

Edited by jdevlin (05/19/17 09:11 AM)

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.