Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (Suenmark98, bilvihur, 2 invisible), 209 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#911855 - 04/19/17 12:44 PM Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues
dougm Offline

Loc: The Colony, Texas
Need an expert opinion: Whirlpool Gold french door refrigerator, model GI7FVCXWY01. Noticed the refrigerator section wasn't as cool as normal. Freezer seems fine. Cleaned the coils under (very dirty), unplugged for a few minutes, ran diagnostics on control panel and left overnight. Temp in the fridge was 45 this morning (set to 34) and compressor was cycling as normal (assume it goes by freezer temp). Re-ran diagnostics and I can hear the evaporator air baffle open and close and the fan runs. The only test that doesn't seem right is that I don't hear the "ice box" fan motor during the ice box motor and baffle test (part of ice maker that's in the refrigerator section), but it's making ice, so may be insignificant or a different problem. I forced a defrost cycle and the fridge is now down to 45, but the compressor is cycling again (evap. fan stays running), so I think there's still a problem. No frost on the back of the freezer and none showing at the top of the evaporator coils which I can see through the vent slots in the back of the freezer drawer. Could the "ice box" fan have something to do with cooling in the fridg section?

#911869 - 04/19/17 02:53 PM Re: Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues [Re: dougm]
Clint_Robbins Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
What is the temperature in the freezer?

#911874 - 04/19/17 03:48 PM Re: Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues [Re: dougm]
JMac Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
34F seems awfully cold for a refrigerator compartment. That would likely freeze your produce.

#911890 - 04/19/17 07:52 PM Re: Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues [Re: dougm]
dougm Offline

Freezer temp seems to be holding at around 5. We normally keep the refrigerator temp at around 36 or 38, but I set it at the lowest possible temp to see if it would cool more than it is. It's now sitting at 49. I think the ice maker fan helps to bring cold air into the refrigerator section and is not working. Just placed a service call and tech will be here tomorrow. I can't even figure out how to get into the ice maker. It's built into the top of the refrigerator and only has a chute that drops down a couple inches from the top to mate with the in door ice bin when the door is closed.

#911906 - 04/19/17 10:20 PM Re: Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues [Re: dougm]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Quote:
Just placed a service call and tech will be here tomorrow

Let us know what he/she finds.

Quote:
I think the ice maker fan helps to bring cold air into the refrigerator section and is not working.

You would think the ice maker would quit then also.

jeff.

#911913 - 04/20/17 12:15 AM Re: Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues [Re: jeff1]
dougm Offline

Oddly, the ice maker was making ice for a while, but the ice in the door bin was starting to melt and drip out the dispenser, so I pulled it out. It wasn't making ice at normal speed. The freezer is now down below 0. I set it at -5 in hopes that the cooler temp would help keep the refrigerator a little cooler. I'm hoping we may save some of the less perishable food... Really curious to see what the tech. finds and how he gets into the ice maker. If this wasn't our only fridge, I'd mess around and try to figure it out. Apparently this wasn't a popular design for Whirlpool. There don't seem to be ANY videos online showing this configuration. Will keep you posted.

#911966 - 04/21/17 01:11 AM Re: Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues [Re: dougm]
dougm Offline

Update: The tech. determined that... the ice maker fan wasn't working. He was also surprised that this would have such an effect on the refrigerator cooling, but it's the only thing he could find wrong. Part had to be ordered so I guess we'll wait and see what happens when it comes in. In the meantime, the refrigerator has now gotten down to 40, so I think we can limp by for the next few days. Just glad this waited until after Easter to break...

#912020 - 04/21/17 10:27 PM Re: Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues [Re: dougm]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thankx for the update.

Quote:
The tech. determined that... the ice maker fan wasn't working

#21? Motor-evap

jeff.

#912026 - 04/22/17 01:30 AM Re: Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues [Re: dougm]
dougm Offline

Yup Jeff, #21. And for today's long update: Tech. called to let me know that he couldn't order just the new fan and would have to order an entire new ice maker for $500 including installation. I thanked him for his time (already paid for the service call yesterday) and jumped online and found what appeared to be the correct part number. I can't tell if the one you linked to, Jeff, is the same as what I found, but the motor itself is the same as the evaporator fan motor in the freezer and most of the sites want to sell you that one, but the wiring harness is different and there is a bi-metal switch attached which isn't needed. I couldn't be sure of this, so I finally just gave up and pulled the refrigerator apart to get the fan out so I could look up the part number directly. It's a Panasonic motor that I found on Amazon for much less than the appliance part sites. Part ordered and will be in next week (I hope). In the meantime, I've got the ice maker assembly out and the fridge has cooled way down. In fact, it's cooled down a little too much and no matter what I set the temp to, the evaporator fan won't stop. I've stopped the compressor for a while by turning the freezer temp up and, as long as it's not running, the temp in the fridge section is somewhat stable, but it appears that part #15 is the only air damper between the sections and it controls the lower evaporator fan too. Guess it's a catch 22... Ice maker in and not enough cold air gets to the fridge. Ice maker out and too much cold air gets to the fridge. These modern gadgets are complicated! I'll have to try and find a balance setting where the freezer runs just enough to keep the freezer frozen and the fridge... not frozen. It's going to be an interesting weekend.

#912102 - 04/22/17 10:45 PM Re: Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Issues [Re: dougm]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
It's a Panasonic motor that I found on Amazon for much less than the appliance part sites.

Just a warning....we get complaints daily about ebay and amazon....parts are used, rebuilt, no-name versions that don't fit correctly, etc, etc.

Quote:
These modern gadgets are complicated!

And they don't need to be....but some engineer somewhere ( I just peeved off a few people wink ) has to justify their existence

jeff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.