Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (JasonB, Able_Dog, 2 invisible), 193 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#909519 - 03/20/17 09:41 PM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: Punky]
kodak_jack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Rochester,NY
deleted.

Edited by kodak_jack (03/20/17 09:54 PM)

#909520 - 03/20/17 09:52 PM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: Punky]
kodak_jack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I guess I'm really confused now. After two pages of discussion, now you're asking why the need for an inverter. I started out by saying I assume the output of my 2003 generator is giving me dirty power. How do I determine this without plugging it into my furnace and waiting for a problem? How do I know how much my furnace will put up with? If I call my heating and air conditioning contractor, all they want to do is sell me a whole house stand-by generator.

#909521 - 03/20/17 09:56 PM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: kodak_jack]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
Here's an invertor generator made by WEN . Never used this one before since I have the 2000i from Honda, however the WEN looks like a decent price in comparison. Also, this link may help you out with setting things up to make connecting to your furnace a bit easier.

#909526 - 03/20/17 11:01 PM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: kodak_jack]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By kodak_jack
I assume the output of my 2003 generator is giving me dirty power.

How do I determine this......

Your assumption is unfounded, unless you prove different.

Practically ALL generators are fitted with voltage regulators,
to deliver consistent power output.

To determine, research your generator model number for
specific info on voltage regulation, either in the manual
or direct from the manufacturer.

The furnace electronics will be more susceptible to spikes
and surges, and a simple surge protector on the line should
alleviate any problems in that department.

Furnace is no different, BTW, than your microwave, TV, cable box,
alarm clock, etc., etc.

You're overthinking, as long as the generator supply
is well over the wattage of all the stuff you're gonna run.

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#909533 - 03/21/17 07:43 AM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: BillJeffy]
kodak_jack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I tried calling Troybilt. They have a specific number for pressure washers and generators, but it's useless! I get to a point in the menu where it keeps asking "Are you still there?" and nothing makes it change. I called their regular number and the best they could do was to tell me to call a local dealer. The dealer told me not to power anything sensitive with my generator. I listened to a home improvement show on the radio and the heating and cooling guy who was on said not to power a furnace with a generator. Advice is always coming from somebody who has a mega buck system to sell you instead. See where all of this is coming from? It's been the same for at least 15 years that I know of. The only thing is, it could take blowing a high dollar board to find out if they're right. If I could add a power conditioner, or something along those lines, to ensure I don't wipe out the board, I'd be happy. The last thing I need is to have to buy another generator so I have to maintain and run two in case of an emergency. When the furnace was installed in 2010, the guys gave me a shut-off switch and a pigtail so it could be powered by a generator. There is no chance of feedback to the grid as it is isolated. I am not fussy about what has to be run in an outage. I don't have to power the whole house; I accept that. The problem, for me, is having to tend a wood stove for heat. It gets old in a hurry and it bothers my wife's asthma.
If I add a surge protector, does it need to be sized for the load? I looked through the paperwork left with the furnace and looked around the outside, but can't find a sticker that tells me anything useful. The installation instructions are very vague about power hook up. The one sticker on the outside is for the air conditioning unit. All I know specifically is that it's a Rheem 95% efficient furnace.

Edited by kodak_jack (03/21/17 12:44 PM)

#909544 - 03/21/17 10:59 AM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: kodak_jack]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
Troy-built gennys are made by Briggs and stratton.......

You may have more luck there.

What's the model number of yours ?

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#909553 - 03/21/17 12:42 PM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: BillJeffy]
kodak_jack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The model number is 01919. I looked on line and the only thing readily available is the owner's manual. Refurbished ones are still available through Amazon. According to a jumbled description I read, it does not have automatic voltage control nor auto speed control. The owner's manual is nothing great.

#909572 - 03/21/17 04:42 PM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: kodak_jack]
Punky Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: East Aurora, NY
I guess I'm really confused now. After two pages of discussion, now you're asking why the need for an inverter. I started out by saying I assume the output of my 2003 generator is giving me dirty power. How do I determine this without plugging it into my furnace and waiting for a problem? How do I know how much my furnace will put up with? If I call my heating and air conditioning contractor, all they want to do is sell me a whole house stand-by generator.

The only way is to test with an oscilloscope. There's NO guarantee that an inverter absolutely provides you clean power.

If you plug it into your furnace you'll know immediately if there's a problem. It wont start, give error codes, or run with odd behaviors.

#909573 - 03/21/17 04:43 PM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: kodak_jack]
Punky Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: East Aurora, NY
it does not have automatic voltage control nor auto speed control.

It has to have something or it'll never recover from a load-start.

#909610 - 03/21/17 10:36 PM Re: High Efficiency Furnace & Generator [Re: Punky]
kodak_jack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is what I got off of Amazon:
Running Watt Range 5100 to 6000 Tire Diameter (Inches) 10.0 Tire Type Flat-free Cord Set Included No Cord Length (Feet) 0.0 Type of Alternator PowerSurgeTM Control Panel Yes Weight (lbs.) 163.0 Noise Level (Decibels) 0.0 Low Oil Shut Down No Number of Outlets 5.0 Starting Watts 8250.0 OSHA Required GFCI Outlets No Fuel Gauge Yes Hour Meter No Automatic Idle Control No Automatic Voltage Regulation No Length (Inches) 26.5 Width (Inches) 26.5 Height (Inches) 25.1 Oil Capacity (Quarts) 0.88 Warranty Limited 2-year Engine Brand Briggs & Stratton UL Safety Listing No CSA Safety Listing No ETL Safety Listing No Engine Displacement (Cu. Centimeters) 305.0 Engine Series 1450 SeriesTM Fuel Capacity (Gallons) 6.0 Run Time at 1/2 Load (Hours) 11.0 Start Type Pull Wheel Kit Yes

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.