Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (code_ceis, donnyd2, 2 invisible), 144 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#909496 - 03/20/17 05:06 PM Central A/C start-up
DOM_BERLOCO Offline
journeyman

Hi
Had Our usual company come in today to Change the Filters and do what ever they do to check out the A/C for early start-up.. Central unit in a double wide Mobile home. The unit is 15 years old and serviced us well for all those years. The technician went outside and attached a gauge to the compressor and called me to look at the gauge and tried to explain to me that the gauge was telling him the compressor was slow to respond or whatever and that compressor was going to fail most likely during the heat of the summer.
Quoted some prices and suggested to replace the heat also at this time. Wanted to do it ASAP, Red Flag? The needle on the gauge was moving a bit left and right from some center point on the gauge.
The heat worked fine all winter and the A/C seemed ok to me as for cycling and cool during his testing. Call another Company for another opinion?

My question is: in 15 years never had to add what ever gas is in the system and can he tell by the gauge the unit is going to fail shortly and not need some gas? Wife jumped in and wanted it replaced ASAP, I am of the opinion wait till it fails.
Thanks in advance for any experience you may had and suggestions.

#909509 - 03/20/17 06:18 PM Re: Central A/C start-up [Re: DOM_BERLOCO]
Clint_Robbins Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
I'm no expert but it appears to be a serviceman looking for a commission.

#909511 - 03/20/17 06:32 PM Re: Central A/C start-up [Re: DOM_BERLOCO]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
I'd for sure call someone else that's reputable (ask neighbors). Anytime a company starts claiming replace asap that's a red flag. I wouldn't lead the other company in that direction either when they come out. Then depending on what they say take your time and research what's the best product and price instead of getting pants on fire pressure.

#909570 - 03/21/17 03:39 PM Re: Central A/C start-up [Re: DOM_BERLOCO]
Punky Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: East Aurora, NY
I do this for a living. That sounds like normal operation to me. Some minor movement of the gauges is normal, especially in the first 15 minutes of run time.

My professional opinion is "do not replace"

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.