Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (JasonB, Able_Dog, 2 invisible), 193 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#909482 - 03/20/17 02:37 PM Roto Tiller
bentnail200 Offline

Loc: Virginia
I got a "front tine tiller", 6hp, got it out to til my garden, pulled the rope (til I got tired of pulling it) and it's NOT FIRING, So, I drained the "gas tank", put in "fresh gas", put a new "spark plug" in and after that....IT STILL WON'T FIRE. What I DO KNOW is the "spark plug boot" is SPLIT, Could this be my problem? What say you?

#909483 - 03/20/17 02:44 PM Re: Roto Tiller [Re: bentnail200]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Draining the tank doesn't purge bad gas from the carb. Thus...

I'd pour about a teaspoon of fresh gas right into the carb throat and give it a pull. See if it'll even fire/sputter. If it does, but won't keep running, you at least know you have spark. I'd repeat this step three or four times. Sometimes that's enough to get the stale gas out of the bowl.

If still no constant running, I'd drain the carb bowl to make sure I had fresh gas in the bowl and try again.

If it wouldn't even fire off with the gas down the throat, I'd check to see if there was spark.

The torn boot may "contribute" to a carbon trail whereby the spark can travel to ground OUTSIDE of the combustion chamber. So if the raw gas trick described above doesn't solve your problem, remove the boot, wipe the plug real good with a clean rag, and firmly reinstall the wire/boot.

By the way, all this assumes you have the key on... whistle

(Been there...) blush

Moderator:  Bob_Q, CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.