Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (markinark, debodun, 1 invisible), 241 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#909361 - 03/19/17 03:29 PM ice maker
bones774 Offline
Handyman

Loc: Orange County NY
hi all, have an amana fridge abb2522few with ice maker. Turned off ice maker last year and it was working fine turned on this year no response.so far i have shorted term t&h got no response and tested n&l for line voltage, no reading. what newxt thanks

#909392 - 03/19/17 09:06 PM Re: ice maker [Re: bones774]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Quote:
abb2522few

I found ABB2522FEW0 ABB2522FEW11 ABB2522FEW2 ABB2522FEW3
http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php

Quote:
so far i have shorted term t&h got no response and tested n&l for line voltage, no reading.

Have you been doing this with the door closed or with the door switch taped closed?
Freezer temp is?

jeff.

#909393 - 03/19/17 09:19 PM Re: ice maker [Re: jeff1]
bones774 Offline
Handyman

Originally Posted By jeff1
Hi,

Quote:
abb2522few

I found ABB2522FEW0 ABB2522FEW11 ABB2522FEW2 ABB2522FEW3
http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php

Quote:
so far i have shorted term t&h got no response and tested n&l for line voltage, no reading.

Have you been doing this with the door closed or with the door switch taped closed?
Freezer temp is?

jeff.

oops, gotta tape switch, get back to you soon. thanks

#909394 - 03/19/17 09:27 PM Re: ice maker [Re: bones774]
bones774 Offline
Handyman

ok, just checked, no digits after FEW.
taped switch closed and shorted terminals, the module cycled around, at about 1/3 rotation i heard a click at back of fridge, maybe water valve? but no filling, then wire bar raised and lowered and cycle ended shortly after. What next?
thanks

#909447 - 03/20/17 09:53 AM Re: ice maker [Re: bones774]
JMac Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
I had an Amana in my last house, if I shut the water off the filler pipe would inevitably freeze up. I would take a hair dryer and blow warm air on the filler pipe to thaw it out. In mine, it was a plastic pipe that could also be removed from the back of the compartment. I then directed the heat at the opening and melted that as well. It usually happened when I turned the water off when we went on vacation. We'd get back and after a few days, I noticed that the ice maker was not refilling.

If the ejectors bind up hitting them with some heat from a hair dryer will help too.

#909494 - 03/20/17 04:59 PM Re: ice maker [Re: JMac]
bones774 Offline
Handyman

Originally Posted By JMac
I had an Amana in my last house, if I shut the water off the filler pipe would inevitably freeze up. I would take a hair dryer and blow warm air on the filler pipe to thaw it out. In mine, it was a plastic pipe that could also be removed from the back of the compartment. I then directed the heat at the opening and melted that as well. It usually happened when I turned the water off when we went on vacation. We'd get back and after a few days, I noticed that the ice maker was not refilling.

If the ejectors bind up hitting them with some heat from a hair dryer will help too.

I jumped up to run to the bathroom and grab the hairdryer(s)to heat the pipe, then found there was no hair dryer to be had, the kids are off to college and whatever dryers were there are gone. Have to grab one of the neighbors and borrow one for 15 minutes.

#909495 - 03/20/17 05:00 PM Re: ice maker [Re: JMac]
bones774 Offline
Handyman

Originally Posted By JMac

I jumped up to run to the bathroom and grab the hairdryer(s)to heat the pipe, then found there was no hair dryer to be had, the kids are off to college and whatever dryers were there are gone. Have to grab one of the neighbors and borrow one for 15 minutes.

#909523 - 03/20/17 08:58 PM Re: ice maker [Re: bones774]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
ok, just checked, no digits after FEW

Probably the 0 ( zero ) one then.

Quote:
taped switch closed and shorted terminals, the module cycled around, at about 1/3 rotation i heard a click at back of fridge, maybe water valve? but no filling, then wire bar raised and lowered and cycle ended shortly after. What next?

Make sure the fill spout didn't freeze over...

jeff.

#909525 - 03/20/17 08:59 PM Re: ice maker [Re: jeff1]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I jumped up to run to the bathroom and grab the hairdryer(s)to heat the pipe, then found there was no hair dryer to be had, the kids are off to college and whatever dryers were there are gone.

LOL!!

jeff.

#909543 - 03/21/17 09:26 AM Re: ice maker [Re: bones774]
JMac Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
Jeff,
That is exactly where mine froze up whenever I shut the water supply off for a vacation. I guess the water kind of trickled in and was able to freeze since there was no pressure behind it. As I recall it only happened after I shut the water off.

My experience with ice makers is a good defrosting can fix a lot of problems and save a service call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.