Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (markinark, debodun, 1 invisible), 241 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#909225 - 03/17/17 10:49 PM Hot water heater not staying hot for very long
GuitarSalad Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Hey everyone. I've come here a few times over the years for home repair advice and never been led astray. Our house is about 16 years old, and we've had the same water heater since we moved in about 6 years ago. I looked up how old the water heater was a while ago, and it's pretty old and well out of warranty. This week, I noticed that I'm not able to maintain the temperature in the shower for nearly as long as I'm used to. I do take long showers, but yesterday I had the valve as far as it would go by the time I was done showering, and the water was not nearly as hot as it should have been. It's an electric RUUD 50 gallon residential tank. Is this a sign that the unit is going out? Just the heating element. With a tank that's over a decade old, should I worry about replacing the heating element when the whole thing could give at any moment?

#909228 - 03/18/17 12:54 AM Re: Hot water heater not staying hot for very long [Re: GuitarSalad]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Water heaters built between 1993 and 1996 are prone to dip tube failures. Your symptoms are classic. Usually an inexpensive fix.
---> Link

But first, check your thermostat and heating elements, just to be sure.
---> Another link

#910485 - 04/01/17 06:21 AM Re: Hot water heater not staying hot for very long [Re: GuitarSalad]
AnthraciteSparky Offline
Handyman

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Or a bad top element said goodbye. Or the other guy as well.

Edited by AnthraciteSparky (04/01/17 11:26 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.