Handyman Wire

Who's Online
5 registered (Lew_Falconer, Able_Dog, Bob_Fleming, bilvihur, Tooler), 153 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#906136 - 02/16/17 12:19 PM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: Ernie]
sootedupCindy Offline

Loc: Maine
Well it made me laugh. Caught already. ha ha

#906137 - 02/16/17 12:22 PM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: BillJeffy]
sootedupCindy Offline

You know, I'm going to turn that water temp up.

#906138 - 02/16/17 12:23 PM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: sootedupCindy]
CabinConnection Online   content
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
I did ride my scooter out your way a few summers ago however... Through the U-P, then through Canada across the top of Erie, it was a nice ride.

OK... I gotta get out of my office... Will let you and the others fix your soot issue. smile

#906139 - 02/16/17 12:27 PM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: CabinConnection]
sootedupCindy Offline

I have to leave too, and go back to the house and check on it. We are at a different place. We don't have internet over there. Too rural. Listen please post your ideas so I can come back tomorrow and check in. Ok? Thanks cindy

#906141 - 02/16/17 02:02 PM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: Anonymous]
Punky Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: East Aurora, NY
Referencing this thread here and this one over at hvac-talk:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?2045991-Soot-has-my-technician-stumped

your system is likely set up wrong, by a tech who has NO idea what he's doing. Flames blowing back in your face is indicative of:

- overfiring
- lack of draft
- too much combustion air
- plugged heat exchanger

sooting can be from:

- over firing
- incomplete combsution
- improper setup
- flame impingement

you need a tech with a combustion analyzer who leaves you with a printout with how your system is operating. base setup is contained in the boiler manual and on the rating plate of the boiler. we cant guess how it's working based upon feelings and how things look.

#906356 - 02/19/17 11:27 AM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: Anonymous]
sootedupCindy Offline

No punky, There are no flames blowing back. It's running great now, but it wont be for long. We look in the hole on the front of the furnace and feel for air blowing back out. That's what he told us to do. Keep our eye on it, feel for that, look at the flame and look for soot. None. I am going to call someone else, have them come over and run the tests like everyone suggests. We'll see what happens. Our oil burner guy is the one who installed it and serviced it for years and it's been fine. He knows this system. Something odd is going on for sure. When I get It looked at by someone else, I'll come back and tell everyone what he finds if anything. I have a " gut feeling" the water temp is too low, and the thing is not running long enough. But that's just a guess, and I don't know. I APPRECIATE everyones help!!! Thanks, cindy

#906397 - 02/19/17 10:36 PM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: Anonymous]
Punky Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hot air blowing back at you when you open the sight port is generally abnormal. I"d bet your old "tech" never pulled the burner and you'll find that the retention head is burned off.

Your gut feeling is something that other people in the other site told you.

#906709 - 02/22/17 12:51 PM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: Anonymous]
sootedupCindy Offline

UPDATE update. We had another oil tech come last night and check out our oil burner. Nice guy, had all the instruments. He looked it all over, checked the draft(ok) checked the valve(ok) checked the head(ok) checked the oil pressure(ok). He cleaned the electrodes with a file and changed the angle a bit, tested the draft, checked the valve. looked at the flame. Ok. The only thing he did change was the nozzle. He brought it down from a .75 to a .65. Which the first guy had done once and tried it back on 75. It sounds good, runs good. But no smoking gun found. No real diagnoses or anything that seemed wrong. It is running at 84 percent efficiency. He did have a thought that maybe a tree near the house was effecting the draft. But other then that. Nothing much new. Now it's a wait and see if it soots up again. But I did like the guy, and would call him back. And I had it doubled checked with the instruments, so I don't have to wonder. Just wait and see. cindy

#906711 - 02/22/17 01:46 PM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: Anonymous]
Punky Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Trees, wind, and cold weather can indeed affect draft. I had one house that was down in a bowl shaped depression. The oil boiler would often soot during periods of damp, cold, windless weather. Switching the burner from a beckett to a riello solved the problem as the riello is more flexible when there is a backpressure on the system.

#906717 - 02/22/17 02:25 PM Re: soot in furnance has my technician stumped. [Re: Punky]
sootedupCindy Offline

That's interesting Punky. Because the day and a half we were gone, there was a big snowstorm. 28 inches of snow and 50 mile and hour winds. We came back and the burner had sooted up and kicked off. Reason we leave is we have to take care of another house, plow etc.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.