Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (bilvihur, 3 invisible), 190 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#903704 - 01/23/17 08:34 AM Pool cover pump
wsommariva Offline
veteran

Loc: Northern NJ
Hi everyone,

10,000 gallon in ground with vinyl cover.

I get a lot of water and snow. My pool cover pumps last about 5 years. They they just stop working.

Today my curent one isn't working. It switched off the outside GFCI. I tried another outside GFCI and it switched that one off also.

About 5 years old.

Only cost about $60.

Any way to fix them or just toss it in the landfill?

I was never good at spelling....

#903705 - 01/23/17 08:49 AM Re: Pool cover pump [Re: wsommariva]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
What kind of set-up do you have now? One you throw out there and pump when things are thawed, or something automatic, or ??? How often does it run? It there a bunch of debris? And pump brand?

Maybe a photo...

#903707 - 01/23/17 09:02 AM Re: Pool cover pump [Re: wsommariva]
wsommariva Offline
veteran

Loc: Northern NJ
AHHHh photos are tuff.

I made a frame out of pvc so the pump is always upright. I thing it 1/4 hp. NOT automatic. It stays on the cover all winter. I have it plugged into the pool equipment gfci. I have the 70 amp pool breaker off in the service panel in the garage.

When I want I turn on the breaker and the pump goes on. I watch it close so I can turn it off when the water stops flowing.

Sometimes water will not flow due to ice buildup. I turn off the breaker asap. So I understand why they fail. First, once water stops flowing if I don't turn it off right away I guess it can overheat? Secondly, I flip the breaker, run into the house to see if water is flowing; if not it's an ice problem, I run back inside and turm off the breaker.

New one is not expensive, just would like to fix and avoid it entering the landfill

I was never good at spelling....

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.