Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (CabinConnection, Punky, gabby, 1 invisible), 203 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#902423 - 01/09/17 10:18 AM Re: Well pressure and kick on off [Re: CabinConnection]
roadrunner255 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Central Texas
Thanks all,

HD (ex plumber) employee suggested on getting a spare PumpSaver a pump monitoring overload relay.

PumpSaver is about 12 years old and they are $200 or so.

Not a stocked item at HD either.

Worth getting a spare, or just replace it since the pressure switch already went.

Cheers!

#902713 - 01/11/17 02:09 PM Re: Well pressure and kick on off [Re: Clint_Robbins]
roadrunner255 Offline
enthusiast

I did notice a bunch of black residue (iron I think) in the 1/4" adapter hole off the main line.

I forgot to mention when everything was thawed out and I opened the hose off the main line when the pump was powered off and the gauge got to 50 psi the pressure would drop to 0.

Cheers!

#902736 - 01/11/17 07:08 PM Re: Well pressure and kick on off [Re: roadrunner255]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By roadrunner255
I did notice a bunch of black residue (iron I think) in the 1/4" adapter hole off the main line.

I forgot to mention when everything was thawed out and I opened the hose off the main line when the pump was powered off and the gauge got to 50 psi the pressure would drop to 0.

Cheers!

The black residue is gonna build up in the pressure switch
over time, and the hole in the switch is pretty small....
probably led to your problem.

The "...drop to zero..." situation will occur when the diaphragm
in the tank reaches bottom....pressure/water supply immediately
goes to zero with no pump running.

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#902947 - 01/13/17 06:02 PM Re: Well pressure and kick on off [Re: roadrunner255]
roadrunner255 Offline
enthusiast

Thanks all for the replies!

Before I build a shed around the well head, I have a vertical 1/2" wide crack in the composite base of the pressure tank left of the water pipe.

Any suggestions on repairing it or would I need a new base?

Cheers!

#902949 - 01/13/17 06:09 PM Re: Well pressure and kick on off [Re: roadrunner255]
CabinConnection Online   content
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
You could band the base with some strapping, down between grade and where the pipe goes (that way it won't ride up). Or bridge the crack with plumber's tape (3/4" galvanized pipe strap) maybe... Use oversize flat washers under the screw heads.

Or leave as-is.

Curious - How'd it get cracked in the first place?

#902956 - 01/13/17 07:50 PM Re: Well pressure and kick on off [Re: roadrunner255]
Punky Online   sleepy
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: East Aurora, NY
Fuhgettaboutit

#903054 - 01/15/17 09:10 AM Re: Well pressure and kick on off [Re: roadrunner255]
roadrunner255 Offline
enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion, base was cracked when we purchased the property 2 years ago. We had work done on the well, the tank was drained and reinstalled, I noticed that the crack was larger.

One last question, there is no disconnect, before I build the shed would installing a disconnect where power exits from the conduit before pressure switch be the best location?

Any particular brand or type?

Cheers

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.