Handyman Wire

Who's Online
6 registered (Joe_Guy, Marq, Atom, 3 invisible), 41 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89678 - 07/17/04 10:40 PM Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
Danny_Ocean Offline
Martini Chef

Loc: Myjammi, FLA
I'm replacing the exterior water shut-off valve between where the feed comes from the City supply and enters the house (I'm not referring to the City shut-off...that valve is OK). The pipe coming from the city supply is 3/4" PVC. The pipe entering the house is old, nasty, rusty 3/4" galvanized (iron pipe?). The stub is not threaded and is jagged. I can cut off about 1" to expose "clean" pipe. I used a wire brush on a drill to clean the outside of the pipe.

Question is: How do I transition from PVC to galvanized when there are no threads on the galvanized pipe? I don't think I can solder a copper union to galvanized and I've never seen a glued PVC-to-galvanized union.

Many thanks in advance,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

#89679 - 07/18/04 12:41 AM Re: Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
Bob_Fleming Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
Get the galv pipe clean and use a Moody compression coupling. This is a brass coupling with compression nuts and neoprene gaskets on each end.
The problem you might have is that the OD of the two pipes is not the same. Try buying two of the couplings in that case, one for each type of pipe. Then substitute the compression end on one end of the body so you have a mixed size coupling.
Your only alternative is to get a ratcheting pipe threader down there, but if it is old galv pipe, lots o' luck.

#89680 - 07/18/04 01:36 AM Re: Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
hard_drive Offline
Handyman

Loc: N.E. Missouri
I think one of these compression couplings will work for you...maybe, what Bob was speaking of...

They come in a lot of styles:
See more here...
* threaded one side-compression on the other
* compression on both sides, etc. etc.
* and are available in brass also

#89681 - 07/18/04 11:10 AM Re: Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
Danny_Ocean Offline
Martini Chef

I was afraid someone would say "compression fitting". Are these type reliable?

Thanks, I'll give 'em a try. Don't think I have any other option...

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

#89682 - 07/18/04 05:52 PM Re: Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
Bob_Fleming Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
The picture is of a plastic compression coupling. We use those here on sprinkler systems - if necessary - but I prefer the brass version for something like a supply line. You can tighten them better.
Story: I had a copper pipe about two feet down under the lawn and just could not get it dry enough to solder. Called a plumber and he couldn't do it either. So he used a brass Moody coupling. It held and I burried it, and never heard of a problem with it. Must be 30 years ago.
The idea is that it was restrained on both sides, as I suspect yours will be. If not restrained, watch out!

#89683 - 07/18/04 08:14 PM Re: Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
hard_drive Offline
Handyman

Your right, Bob,
....it is the PVC version...
the pic was mainly for use as a visual-

However, this PVC coupling is rated at 200 psi...

Using one of these could be avoided altogether, if the steel pipe were completely removed back to the last threaded connection. Then just install a PVC nipple to the steel connection and use a new length of PVC pipe to make up for the length of steel removed. Glue a standard PVC coupling between the two PVC pipes..and it's a done deal.

#89684 - 07/18/04 10:54 PM Re: Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
Danny_Ocean Offline
Martini Chef

In reply to:

Using one of these could be avoided altogether, if the steel pipe were completely removed back to the last threaded connection.

That's pretty near impossible. The iron pipe coming from the ground is one big rusted 55 yr. old blob. I chipped, sanded and wire-brushed to no avail. There is an old galvanized union further down, however I'm afraid if I put a wrench on it, the pipe will snap like a pretzel. I'd rather lessen the risk and work with the stub I have.

I installed a PVC union today. True test will be when the water co. turns it on at the street. If it fails, I'll switch to the brass/bronze set-up.

Thanks again,

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

#89685 - 07/18/04 11:41 PM Re: Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
hard_drive Offline
Handyman

....Ok, good luck

#89686 - 07/19/04 05:03 AM Re: Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
Clint_Robbins Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
If the steel pipe union is standard, it should come apart without damage to the pipe if you put a pipe wrench on the part of the union that's screwed to the street side of the pipe and turn the large female part with another wrench. The important part is to get a good bite on the street side so that you don't put any twisting force into the pipe. Even if you have a problem with the union, you could still use a coupling at that location.

But, the best solution would be to replace the steel pipe before it rusts closed and/or breaks. It may also greatly increase the water flow.

#89687 - 07/19/04 07:47 PM Re: Transition from galvanized pipe to PVC?
Danny_Ocean Offline
Martini Chef

In reply to:

But, the best solution would be to replace the steel pipe before it rusts closed and/or breaks.

I agree...I'm a huge believer in "doing it right" (yourself), but this property (rental) is slated to be bulldozed within a year or two. Just trying to keep it "afloat" until then.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob_Q, Clint_Robbins, Ernie, FranS 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.