Handyman Wire

Who's Online
5 registered (twoshoes, Able_Dog, Joe_Guy, 2 invisible), 53 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#770754 - 09/22/13 01:17 PM I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard
DonkeyDave Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have planted squash, sunflowers, watermelon, pumpkins and several other things but the rabbits just won't permit it. They usually destroy the sprouts the day they come out of the ground. Now they've girdled two ornamental trees that I paid $60.00 apiece for. I googled rabbit poison but all they show is rabbit repellent. I don't want to scare them away, I want them dead! I don't want to have to go out there and find that the repellent faded away. Any suggestions?

#770758 - 09/22/13 01:41 PM Re: I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard [Re: DonkeyDave]
rfm3 Offline
" Duke of Earl "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Guarding the West NY Border
Well I googled rabbit poison and cant find squat, unless you go to a site in New Zealand

Link

Link 2

#770762 - 09/22/13 02:44 PM Re: I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard [Re: DonkeyDave]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
Why not trap them? Then you get the pleasure of dispatching them yourself with a small dose of lead poisoning.

#770771 - 09/22/13 03:32 PM Re: I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard [Re: mommapup.]
rfm3 Offline
" Duke of Earl "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Guarding the West NY Border
Ummm target practice???

#770773 - 09/22/13 04:33 PM Re: I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard [Re: DonkeyDave]
Dennis_H_N.J. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Toms River, N.J.
Big rat traps... I know what you mean..

#770781 - 09/22/13 06:02 PM Re: I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard [Re: DonkeyDave]
ront02769 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
Me and my m&p 15/22. For a field trip??

#770784 - 09/22/13 06:52 PM Re: I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard [Re: DonkeyDave]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Seneca Nation
3 pounds rabbit, cut into stew sized pieces
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup celery, diced
2 cups diced carrots
2 onions, finely diced
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 bay leaves
6 cups water
4 cups red wine
4 medium-sized potatoes, diced
1/2 cup sliced sauteed mushrooms

Directions

Using half the flour (3/4 cup) coat the pieces of rabbit, shaking off any excess. Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, and brown the floured rabbit on all sides. Add the celery, carrots, onions, salt, pepper, bay leaves, 6 cups water and red wine, and stew for about 2 hours. Add the potatoes 45 minutes into the stewing process. Once the rabbit and all the vegetables are cooked, use some water to form a paste with the remaining 3/4 cup flour. Stir the flour mixture into the pot as a thickener. Add the already sauteed mushrooms to the stew and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings, if necessary, and serve.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/rabbit-stew-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

“Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt” Samuel Adams, 1749

#770787 - 09/22/13 07:27 PM Re: I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard [Re: DonkeyDave]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vanceboro, NC
Fencing is probably the only viable option.
Are they Jacks or cottontails?

#770795 - 09/22/13 08:59 PM Re: I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard [Re: DonkeyDave]
JimTheTinkerer Offline
" Humming Bulb "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: US
Around here the foxes really keep the rabbit popul. down.
Rabbit repellent is coyote pee or something.
Any way to get more doggie things hanging around?

When a fisher moves in...everything is wiped for a year or two.
They move on when all the rodents have been gone a while.

#770802 - 09/22/13 11:22 PM Re: I want to kill every rabbit that comes in my yard [Re: mommapup.]
morrisdancer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Michigan
I like the livetrap idea (but you could relocate them maybe to someone's property that you don't like ;)) and by the way, our pet rabbit absolutely LOVED peanut butter sandwiches, so that would be a good bait. Electical cords, Hubby's leather boots, cookies (whatever flavor the kids decided to feed her) Alfalfa and clover too. But peanut butter sandwiches? Bunny Crack. They can't resist. Only problem is that rabbits are nocturnal and so are skunks and I wouldn't want to see a skunk in a trap.

I planted smelly marigolds all round the garden when we had our rabbit. Let her outside to play and she ate the marigolds and then headed for the carrots. So much for marigolds.

Liz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob_Q, Ernie, FranS 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.