Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 65 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#74808 - 04/29/04 02:48 PM running electrical wire
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have a wall that has a pair of copper tubes that run from the ceiling of the first floor to the crawl space as illustrated below.

W = wall
S = stud
X = romex wire
Y = intended outlet

www | wwwww( X )wwS wwww M wwwSwwwww
www | wwwwwwwwwS wwww M wwwSwwwww
www | wwwwwwwwwS wwww M wwwSwwwwww
www | wwwwwwwwwS wwww M wwwSwwwwww
www |___________________ M wwwwSwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwSwww | M wwwwSwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwSwww | M wwwwSwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwSwww | M wwwwSwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwSwww | M wwwwSwwwwwwww
wwww( Y )wwwwwwwSwww | M wwwSwwwwww
www ___________________| M wwwwSwwwwww
www | wwwwwwwwwSwwwww M wwwSwwwwwwww

can i run a romex 14/2 across the first horizontal copper tubes? the copper tube is wrapped with a black foam insulation. if i ran the romex across the copper tube, i can insert a piece of wood in between the romex and copper tube so they would not touch each other. the bends on the copper tubes are for a cutaway/pass thru wall between kitchen and family room.

a stud runs verticle right of the Y

I plan to inserted another stud to left of the Y to enclose the outlet.

crossing the romex wire across the copper tubes, would this pass code?

glenn

#74809 - 04/29/04 03:08 PM Re: running electrical wire
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
I don't understand your illustration at all, sorry, but I'll take a stab at this, are the copper tubes you're talking about water pipes with foam insulation around them. If they are then it's ok to run romex in the same stud cavity as your water pipes and since they're protected already with insulation there's no need to insert a piece of wood between them and the wire, just make sure the romex is installed between holes in the studs.

If I'm way off here then please let me know.

#74810 - 04/29/04 03:15 PM Re: running electrical wire
Arnold Offline
Helpful Electrician

Loc: United States
And you really don't need a stud on the left of Y if you want to use an "old-work" box instead. Of course if the wall is currently open, why not.

#74811 - 04/29/04 03:52 PM Re: running electrical wire
Anonymous
Unregistered

sorry about the drawing. i just wanted to know if i can cross romex wire over copper tubes ( water lines ), and if they can be on the same cavity. i wasn't sure if code requires to go around the copper tubes.

thanks,
glenn

#74812 - 04/29/04 04:18 PM Re: running electrical wire
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey dora..

here is a link to a picture that i was trying to draw....

[image]http://members.cox.net/gordonez1/[/image]

picture

#74813 - 04/29/04 04:33 PM Re: running electrical wire
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, you can leave it like that, I'm wondering about the piece that's on the far left side, is that piece of romex over top of the stud, it's hard to tell, but it doesn't look like it goes through the stud, looks like it goes over top.

PS, thanks for the pic, that was alot of work doing it the other way

#74814 - 04/29/04 05:24 PM Re: running electrical wire
Anonymous
Unregistered

are you talking about the gray one? that gray one was also running straight down prior to the water lines being altered for the pass thru. the gray wire was for the stove/oven. the new location for the oven/wire will be on the center island.

can i leave that gray wire in between the floors capped off with nuts and on the other end - disconnect it from the utility panel? i don't think i can remove the gray line totally because i believe it is stapled along it's path.
i'm sure my new line for the stove/oven will have to run under the house to the center island.

dora...where are you from? i read some warning somewhere that some advice on here are from people from other countries such as canada therefore i need to be careful on following thru on some advice. i'd like to think you are in the states where most of our codes are similiar.

thanks,
glenn

#74815 - 04/29/04 05:31 PM Re: running electrical wire
Anonymous
Unregistered

oops.... you meant my other left.. the two blue ones.... the lines are coming in from the kitchen.

farthest left is the light switch, and the other blue one was an outlet. the outlet...i'm going to disconnect with nuts, and the light switch i'm going to run towards the left over the door frame back down (on the opposite side from where it used to be.)

-glenn

Edited by gordonez (04/29/04 05:33 PM)

#74816 - 04/30/04 07:32 AM Re: running electrical wire
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Glenn, yes, I'm in the states so no worries there. The stove line is fine to leave in the wall as long as you cap the ends with wire nuts and remove the other end from the power source, just label the wires as abandoned in place so they are never reconnected. Looks like you have alot of work ahead of you, if you're remodeling your kitchen make sure you install all the necessary kitchen receptacles and circuits that are required. Good luck

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.