Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
New Reply
Topic Options
#746460 - 02/27/13 02:44 PM Attaching House Numbers to Brick Front
hermansherman Offline

Need your guidance/advice again.

I live in Northern NJ.
I have a brick front house, and my town is now requiring that all houses must have large numbers on the house prior to approving sale of a house. I am not moving just yet, but might as well get the numbers on the house.
Years ago, I had purchased some large brass numbers that I was going to attach to a tree in my front yard, but never got around to it. Just ran across those numbers this morning.
The front door and casing is not an alternative.

So, what would you suggest?
Attach the numbers directly to the brick front. How?
Attach the numbers to a plaque and then attach the plaque to the brick front. Again, how?

Thank you in advance,
Herman

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#746462 - 02/27/13 03:01 PM Re: Attaching House Numbers to Brick Front [Re: hermansherman]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
Well, you could drill into your brick but if it were mine my "go-to" product would be Velcro either heavy duty or industrial strengh. If concerned the adhesive on the back of the velcro won't stick long to the brick then you could use a dab of Gorilla Glue on the backside of the velcro since this glue sticks great to brick & cement.

#746465 - 02/27/13 03:19 PM Re: Attaching House Numbers to Brick Front [Re: hermansherman]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
I'd vote for a plaque attached to the brick with construction adhesive. Or the numbers attached to the brick with construction adhesive if there's sufficient area on the numbers for the adhesive.

Depending on the "tack" or initial grab of the adhesive you may need to hold them for a day or so with masking or duct tape.

#746466 - 02/27/13 03:32 PM Re: Attaching House Numbers to Brick Front [Re: hermansherman]
notnew2diy Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: harvard, il.
I vote for on a plaque, attached to the mortar lines, not the brick.

JMHO...notnew...

#746471 - 02/27/13 04:11 PM Re: Attaching House Numbers to Brick Front [Re: hermansherman]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Seneca Nation
If they follow ICC code make sure the numbers fit the specs.

Ours are 5 inch in height and opposing color.

No script numbers.

We went around our town and gave every one a green or red reflective sign with numbers on it for their mailbox.

The color was based on how house was framed.

A number on your house is the most important safety thing you can do.

If the first responders loose three minutes looking for your house it could be life or death time.

One of our local businesses donated them.

RIP RS

#746801 - 03/02/13 12:58 PM Re: Attaching House Numbers to Brick Front [Re: code_ceis]
Marq Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Romeo, MI
I'd opt to attach the numbers to the house, that would look the cleanest and I dont believe any type of glue would work in the long run.

I assume the numbers have holse for screws that are same spacing for all of them, and if you are lucky, they will be the same distance as the horizontal morter joints, if not try spacing them to the vertical morter joints?

Get a 1/4" mason drill and drill holes in the morter, not the brick.

The morter will drill very easy, the brick will be a PITA.

Insert plastic anchors in the holes and use screws to attach.

If you every have to take the numbers down, just patch the holes with morter and you'll never see the holes.

Edited by Marq (03/02/13 01:16 PM)

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.