Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (Steve_A, CabinConnection, 2 invisible), 53 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
New Reply
Topic Options
#740827 - 01/11/13 05:55 AM HF Predator generator
sportster Offline
Handyman

Loc: South West Ohio
HF is having a sale on their small predator generator LINK.

I was wanting one to have in case we need it and would rather have the next size up but for $250 I think its a good deal.

Has anyone put on the LP kit for this brand genny?

Maybe this should be in the small engine forum?

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#740832 - 01/11/13 08:16 AM Re: HF Predator generator [Re: sportster]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
but for $250 I think its a good deal

Maybe too good of a deal. Harbor Freight has some very good prices (usually 1/2 the price of a name brand), but questionable quality. Questionable quality may be ok for certain things, and some of their items are decent quality, but for a generator that you want to be ready when needed, I would like to get some input from others who have HF generators.

#740835 - 01/11/13 09:10 AM Re: HF Predator generator [Re: sportster]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
Shortly after we bought our Briggs&Stratton,($700) We saw the same output on one at HF...($500) It was half the size. Don't ask me how the same HP engine, and the same (5500-8000 max) output can be downsized that much smaller.

Our B&S starts second pull every time, without hesitation. We exercise it twice a year, so it sits 6 months between starts.

“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our
enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?”
--Joseph Stalin

#740841 - 01/11/13 09:30 AM Re: HF Predator generator [Re: sportster]
kickintile Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Northern Colorado

#740849 - 01/11/13 11:06 AM Re: HF Predator generator [Re: kickintile]
sportster Offline
Handyman

Can't see the youtube here at work so I'll have to check it out at home.

I think from doing a search that people have gotten this thing for about the $230 price with coupons but that's not a big savings verses the current price.

I can't afford a $700~800 gen that will sit 98% of the time. If I had more uses for one like that it would be a different story.

#740864 - 01/11/13 12:07 PM Re: HF Predator generator [Re: sportster]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
I can't afford a $700~800 gen that will sit 98% of the time. If I had more uses for one like that it would be a different story.

It will probably sit .001% of the time, but for that .001% that you need one you want a reliable one. Just be sure to test it on a regular basis. Even for an expensive one. Put a resistive load of substantial amperage on it (like a portable heater) during the test. And obviously don't leave gas in it for months, put in enough just for the test. And if you keep a gas can that doesn't get used every month dump the gas from the gas can into the car and refill the can with new gas. Most people don't think about their generators until they need to use it, that's why for required emergency back up generators (in some large commercial buildings) fire inspectors ask to see the maintenance records just like any safety/emergency equipment. You need it to work when needed, even if its never needed.

#740871 - 01/11/13 12:54 PM Re: HF Predator generator [Re: MCA]
sportster Offline
Handyman

That's one of the reasons I was asking about the LP kit so that I wouldn't have to worry about the gas.

I usually keep a 5 gallon gas can around for the lawn mower, now snow blower ect. If I don't use it in a month i put it in my car and then refill the next time the car needs it or gas is cheap.

#740902 - 01/11/13 05:43 PM Re: HF Predator generator [Re: sportster]
pennypicher Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: New England
If it's like the engines they sell it's a good product. Bought a 212cc engine for the 37 ton splitter and it works great 100% satisfied. $99 how can I go wrong.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.