Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#735535 - 11/26/12 08:39 PM Winterize Anti Siphon Outdoor Faucet?
wimmer31 Offline

I have an outdoor faucet that has a plastic cap on it that says "Anti Siphon remove hose in freezing conditions." Can someone please let me know if I have to winterize (drain the water and cut off the water supply) during a Minnesota winter if I have a anti siphon faucet. I have been searching the web and can not find this answered anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

#735538 - 11/26/12 09:05 PM Re: Winterize Anti Siphon Outdoor Faucet? [Re: wimmer31]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
MOST anti siphon are frost free, and are self-draining....
hence, no freezing.

If it looks like this, and mounted at a slight angle,
you should be OK for the winter.

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#735552 - 11/27/12 05:50 AM Re: Winterize Anti Siphon Outdoor Faucet? [Re: wimmer31]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Just be sure to remove the hose. Not doing so prevents the water from draining out of the valve, and the valve body will split inside your wall from freezing water.

#735686 - 11/27/12 08:15 PM Re: Winterize Anti Siphon Outdoor Faucet? [Re: wimmer31]
wimmer31 Offline

Sounds good, thanks for the help!

#735876 - 11/29/12 09:33 AM Re: Winterize Anti Siphon Outdoor Faucet? [Re: CabinConnection]
yardmaster Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Between a Rock and a Hard Plac...
Originally Posted By: CabinConnection
Just be sure to remove the hose. Not doing so prevents the water from draining out of the valve, and the valve body will split inside your wall from freezing water.

Not to mention it's a good idea to drain the actual hose also. It's not frostfree. grin

Do hoses still split when they freeze?

Thank you Mods for all that you do!

#735877 - 11/29/12 09:37 AM Re: Winterize Anti Siphon Outdoor Faucet? [Re: yardmaster]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By: yardmaster
Do hoses still split when they freeze?

Some do... But not all. Depends on what they're made of.

#736038 - 11/30/12 02:31 PM Re: Winterize Anti Siphon Outdoor Faucet? [Re: wimmer31]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
You want to make darn sure that your spigot is sloped properly cause if not you could end up with a big problem come spring.

Under the gray cap is called a backflow preventor and they're main purpose is to prevent any cross connections that may contaminate your water supply.

In most places it's becoming code to install one, however that doesn't mean it needs to be built into your spigot. There are ones that you can buy that are independant of the spigot and screw onto the hose instead.

I prefer this type because if it's an integral part of your spigot it won't allow your inside water piping to drain in the winter unless the interior piping and faucet is sloped to drain to the outside. And that includes if it's a frost-free spigot. Two years ago I installed a brandy new frost free spigot that had an integral anti-siphon valve. I opened the faucet to allow water to drain and I opened the small knurled nut drain on the interior isolation valve to drain the line before winter hit. Well, in the spring when I turned on the water I had a river running down my wall from a split in the interior portion of the frost free spigot. This happened due to improper slope of the faucet and it didn't totally drain to the exterior.

So, I replaced it with another frost free without a built in anti-siphon valve and just attached the portable anti-siphon valve to the end of my hose instead. Now my spigot and interior water piping drains like it should when winterizing the line and my wall stays nice and dry.

Moderator:  Bob_Q, Clint_Robbins, Ernie, FranS 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.