Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#735758 - 11/28/12 02:50 PM Natural Gas Generator/Gas Line Question
pouchie Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Sandy left my family and me without power for some 10 days, during which gasoline was difficult to obtain for our generator. Having done a little research, I've learned that with a simple conversion kit ($250ish http://www.propane-generators.com/), I can convert my gasoline generator into tri-fuel (gasoline, propane, and natural gas), which will allow me to hookup to my natural gas line.

Furthermore, it is my understanding that I will need to have at least a ĺ pipe/hose attached to ensure proper pressure during peak loads.

So here is my question, I was thinking of purchasing a 35 to 50 foot flexible hose (identical to my BBQ hose, just has a larger diameter) which will be attached to the dedicated gas line for my pool heater, since during a crisis I certainly will not be using the heater. Assuming I have to modify this line to include a "T" fitting, additional shut-off value and quick connect attachment that will be used to attach to the flexible hose (like i said about and the 35 to 50 foot long, this hose might have to be 1 inch, due to distance, still unsure) will only be attached when we are using the generator, does anyone think this is dangerous? In case you interested, Iím assuming 35 to 50 feet, so Iím able to store the generator inside a shed (during operation door or windows will be open) away from the snow/rain and and closer to the transfer switch outlet, gas line will also be running at least 5 to 10 feet from home when in use.

BTW, the other reason I thinking flexible is because it will reduce the cost of installation as I going to get a plumber to do the work and the limited use that this generator and hose will get over the years..

Thanks for the help

#735776 - 11/28/12 04:21 PM Re: Natural Gas Generator/Gas Line Question [Re: pouchie]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
CHECK LOCAL CODE!!!!!!!! Most localities do not like homeowners doing their own gas lines/modifications. I see you are in NY, doubtful you are allowed. If you do go ahead, consider the consequences with no insurance and state/local fines.

#735828 - 11/29/12 06:57 AM Re: Natural Gas Generator/Gas Line Question [Re: Just_Bill]
pouchie Offline

Hey, Bill, did you read my post! I'm looking to hire someone, but was looking to cut on the cost.

#735853 - 11/29/12 08:50 AM Re: Natural Gas Generator/Gas Line Question [Re: pouchie]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Do a little more research.....

The cost of 1" gas hose with fittings (approved) will cost you about a GRAND !

The stuff is EXPENSIVE !

I believe the max length per code for BBQ's etc., is 10 feet,
and that's obviously the small diameter stuff you can buy at the
suppliers, RV places, etc.

Thinking out loud, I surmise that your generator is closer to your home
than the pump heater connections...
I would look into the possibility of bringing a stub line (pipe)
through the wall somewhere to the outside, and then going from there.

How far would that be???
err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#735899 - 11/29/12 11:51 AM Re: Natural Gas Generator/Gas Line Question [Re: BillJeffy]
pouchie Offline

Thanks for the reply bill!

The generator is a portable one, so it is possible to place it anywhere, I've decided on the shed which happens to be on the opposite side of the house. You see the natural gas meter and pool heater are located on the left side of property, the electrical panel and transfer switch are located on the right side of house. The house is appr 40 feet wide, which is how I've come up with this measurment.

Furthermore, I guess I could just tap off and leave the generator outside next to the pool heater, but really wanted it to be away from the elements. Also, that means I would have to run a 220 line for the additional 50 feet, which will cost me about $300 (i believe it goes for $6 foot, as per my electrican). Note: My primary reason for the storage shed, is based on not exactly confortable starting a generator if everything is wet.

BTW, your estimate wasn't exactly what i expected, please see the following link, they are offering a 1 inch hose for $340 and a 3/4 inch hose for $290, with the following specs.

- Super Heavy Duty Reinforced Rubber Hoses
- Working Pressure 350 psi. *
- Male pipe thread ends
- Pressure tested to 420 psi (Pressure test certification available upon request).

http://www.propane-generators.com/hook-up_hoses.htm

Thanks for the help.

#735963 - 11/29/12 06:41 PM Re: Natural Gas Generator/Gas Line Question [Re: pouchie]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Seneca Nation
http://www.gastite.com/

CSST under ground to a good location, Stub up a valve with a short hose to genset. UNDER NO conditions should portable generator be inside a building or shed. Unless pemently installed and exaust is vented out per NFPA 37

RIP RS

#735982 - 11/30/12 05:20 AM Re: Natural Gas Generator/Gas Line Question [Re: pouchie]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
This is s DIY site, so I assumed you were going to DIY. And yes, I skipped that part.......my bad.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.