Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (bilvihur, 1 invisible), 181 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#731905 - 10/26/12 09:56 PM Why you shouldn't strip wire with your teeth
jim97219 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Oregon
I didn't do this nor would I ever. Common sense, my dentist and you guys have taught me better.
Source

"Mark this one under potential Darwin Award candidate -
So I have/had this bad habit of stripping wire with my teeth (this is known as foreshadowing). Speaker wire stripping is what I had always used them for. But when I finished my basement (bar area/bathroom/spare bedroom) and my sub-basement (theater room), I got in this habit of pulling the jacket off the wire with my teeth no matter what the situation was.

At one point in the project, I had been running up and down between the bar area and the theater room, shutting breakers off, turning them back on. Well, I ran back down in the theater room, all the lights were off, and the work lights were on. So I get up on the ladder to continue wiring the can lights in the ceiling. I cut the jacket off some dangling wire and grab the jacket with my teeth and pull.

About 2 seconds later I'm off the ladder, laying on the ground, a little bewildered. Yup, I striped (sic) a 20-amp 12-gauge live wire with my teeth and had my butt handed to me for my efforts. I had made the mistake of thinking the breaker was still off for the lights in the theater room because the bar area was also dark (the lights were on the same circuit). Turns out I had simply shut the lights off in the bar area and, after being distracted by something else for a moment, had forgotten this minorly important detail. Dark rooms meant the electricity was off, right? Not so much.

No permanent injuries that I know of (my wife might argue some cognitive function was impaired), and the resulting theater was totally worth it."

#731970 - 10/27/12 04:47 PM Re: Why you shouldn't strip wire with your teeth [Re: jim97219]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
Tch, Tch.....but probably lucky you were on a ladder....

Had you been in a position where contact was long term,
you wouldn't be posting this.

On Halloween, you can stick your finger
in the Pumpkin for light.... smile

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#731998 - 10/27/12 08:51 PM Re: Why you shouldn't strip wire with your teeth [Re: BillJeffy]
jim97219 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Oregon
Just so you know, Bill, it wasn't me! I know better--you guys, my dentist and common sense all taught me not to.

#732109 - 10/29/12 07:46 AM Re: Why you shouldn't strip wire with your teeth [Re: jim97219]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
YIKES! I only strip small wire by tooth, a bad habit I started when I was probably 8. I'd never attempt it with 12 or 14 ga wire, just don't have strong enough teeth for it. I max out at 18 or 20 ga.

J

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.