Handyman Wire

Who's Online
7 registered (JasonB, twoshoes, bacp, Clint_Robbins, niecey, 2 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#730449 - 10/13/12 04:27 PM Will mice chew though window screening?
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Kalama, Washington
Last winter I had mice move into my travel trailer that was parked and had a cover over it. I found they chewed thought the outside plastic vent cover for the fridge.

My thinking was to somehow use window screening to make a better barrier to keep them out but yet still allow the fridge to vent when in use in the summer. I was going to use double side tap, and some construction adhesive to keep the screening in place.

My question is...will the mice just chew though the screening? the only thing I have used in the past to plug up holes to keep mice out was steel wool, but that would not work in this application...

Any ideas or suggestions?

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#730451 - 10/13/12 05:03 PM Re: Will mice chew though window screening? [Re: New_Climber]
grizzly Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: penna.

...what about hardware cloth? whistle

If children can walk across the border, so too can terrorists.

The Feds are great safe crackers i.e. especially lock-boxes.

#730455 - 10/13/12 05:37 PM Re: Will mice chew though window screening? [Re: New_Climber]
ront02769 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
Mice will chew through basic window screening. Lucky it is not a rat which can chew through wood, pipes, concrete, etc!!

Ront

#730456 - 10/13/12 05:45 PM Re: Will mice chew though window screening? [Re: grizzly]
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

I thought about the hardware cloth of which I used on my chicken coup...but it is a lot less flexible and difficult to keep in place. But is screen will not work, I would rather try and get the hardware cloth to stay in place.

#730460 - 10/13/12 09:09 PM Re: Will mice chew though window screening? [Re: New_Climber]
yardmaster Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Between a Rock and a Hard Plac...
Maybe it's possible to find a replacement cover that is made out of metal?

LIke this one?

Thank you Mods for all that you do!

#730466 - 10/14/12 05:35 AM Re: Will mice chew though window screening? [Re: ront02769]
Clint_Robbins Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
Quote:
Mice will chew through basic window screening.

Are you referring to only the plastic screening and not the old aluminum wire screening?

#730467 - 10/14/12 05:48 AM Re: Will mice chew though window screening? [Re: New_Climber]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Not sure about mice, but squirrels don't like to chew on metal. I have often used steel wool to cover access holes. Mice, however, can fit through VERY small holes, so often don't have to chew. They might not like metal screen, but have no problems with fiberglass screen.

#730487 - 10/14/12 09:09 AM Re: Will mice chew though window screening? [Re: Clint_Robbins]
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

Yes, I was referring to the aluminum or metal screening. If I can even still get it, as I didn't think about that... Do you think they will chew on the metal screening if I can find it??

I will look and see if they have a metal screened cover as that would be the easiest. The one you posted is not the same style but I guess they might make some thing that works for my fridge vent.

#730493 - 10/14/12 10:07 AM Re: Will mice chew though window screening? [Re: New_Climber]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
We place Bounce dryer sheets all over cabins, including on beds and around anywhere where mice like to "nest", when closing up a place for the winter. While there are postings from people on the 'net saying this doesn't work, in 100% of the cabins I do this to, for the last ten years, I've NEVER had evidence of a mouse...

Not sure if that would help you, as I suspect your vent is for hot exhaust gasses, but if this is a winter event and it's unused... Well...

#730537 - 10/14/12 06:21 PM Re: Will mice chew though window screening? [Re: New_Climber]
JimTheTinkerer Offline
" Humming Bulb "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: US

Mice would go through fiberglass screening in a jif,
and aluminum screening eventually. Steel screening is
good but it needs a coating that will last and it's rare.

Hardware cloth is super-hard. It does cost a lot, though.
The hex chicken-wire grids are cheap but big enough for
a mouse to squeeze through. Seems like a smaller-size
chicken-wire thing would be ideal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.