Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (wgander, RCovell, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#729167 - 10/02/12 08:08 PM Washer leak
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Hi,
Maytag washing machine A208S from the 70's.
There is a small leak appearing to be from where the supply hose connects to the drum.

I thought possibly I need a new injector hose which is $51
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Injector-Tube-Kit/206154/435487?modelNumber=A208S

or an injector inlet for $21
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Injector-Tube-Kit/12001677/400646?modelNumber=A208S

I wasn't sure if just replacing the inlet would fix the leak, it was right where the hose connects to the drum (I assume it connects to the inlet which is in the drum). Do you think I should replace both the hose and inlet?

How does the hose attach to the inlet and to the drum?
I didn't want to try to remove it until I had the replacement since it is just a very small leak and it still works fine.

I don't mind the very small puddle on the basement floor but I don't want it to rust anything out inside the washer so I would like to fix it eventually.

Thanks

#729180 - 10/02/12 10:00 PM Re: Washer leak [Re: MCA]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Both are common trouble makers for leaking. If the leak is not at the airator ( second part ) than I would just try the ( first one ) hose as the best place to start.

The hose is grommeted into place on the tank cover.

jeff.

#729183 - 10/02/12 11:05 PM Re: Washer leak [Re: jeff1]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It looks like the leak is right where the hose attaches at the top of the tank. The drips appeared to be running down the side of the tank.
Thanks

#729207 - 10/03/12 07:23 AM Re: Washer leak [Re: MCA]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The hose has probably torn/ripped where it gromets into the tank cover ( grey coloured section )...

Injector hose located at top of tub cover Manufacturer Number 206154

jeff.

#729959 - 10/09/12 06:49 PM Re: Washer leak [Re: jeff1]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I got the part and replaced it today. It no longer leaks. There was a small O-ring that came with it, I put it in the groove around the rubber flange before attaching it, that was the only place I thought it could go. The hole in the tank was sharp in an area that was a little rusted, so I filed it smooth. I noticed there is slight dampness around the top of the tank where the hose attaches, not enough to drip. Is this anything to worry about? I was just worried that it may rust around the hole. It looks like some of the splashing from inside got around the bottom of the rubber flange. Should I have lifted up the inside part of the rubber flange from inside the tank (after it is in place) and slipped that O-ring there?
One more thing...should I paint the rusted area that I filed, would the paint prevent corrosion?
I'm probably thinking too much about this, maybe I should just consider it fixed.
Thanks

#729984 - 10/10/12 06:52 AM Re: Washer leak [Re: MCA]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Is this anything to worry about?

Nope.

Quote:
There was a small O-ring that came with it, I put it in the groove around the rubber flange before attaching it

That's where it goes.

Quote:
should I paint the rusted area that I filed, would the paint prevent corrosion?

Wouldn't hurt. That cover is likely NLA ( didn't check ) as many of these parts are gone now since Whirlpool took over for Maytag.

jeff.

#730017 - 10/10/12 09:59 AM Re: Washer leak [Re: jeff1]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I may paint the area I filed down with some car touch-up paint, I hope I didn't make it worse by filing it, but it looked like there was some rust there already. I just hope I don't tear the new rubber flange when I remove it.
Thanks

#730100 - 10/10/12 05:01 PM Re: Washer leak [Re: MCA]
FredDwyer Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Use Rustoleum Primer, not car touch-up paint.

#730124 - 10/10/12 07:18 PM Re: Washer leak [Re: FredDwyer]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Use Rustoleum Primer, not car touch-up paint.

That's what I ended up using. I said car touch up paint because I thought I had some laying around somewhere. I got a can of Rustoleum primer and paint (but I imagine just the primer would have been good enough). Hopefully it would stop the rust so the machine will last another 40 years.

#730131 - 10/10/12 08:33 PM Re: Washer leak [Re: MCA]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Hopefully it would stop the rust so the machine will last another 40 years.

That style washer is the only one that -could- last 40 more years wink

jeff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.