Handyman Wire

Who's Online
6 registered (Clint_Robbins, Able_Dog, 4 invisible), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
New Reply
Topic Options
#724925 - 08/17/12 05:50 PM Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space
Brewfixer Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Hi, I recently had a new roof put on my 102 year old bungalow and in order for my warranty to be valid I have to insulate my attic/crawl space before winter. I live in the Mid-West (Wisconsin) so it does get fairly cold here in the winter. The entire 2nd story level is the Master bedroom with walk in closets and smaller utility closets. The perimeter of the Master bedroom is the crawl space which appears it had never been insulated before. the roof joist are 2x6 and there is a floor all the way around the 2nd story including crawl space. Most of the walls surrounding the master bedroom are drywall against 2x4.
My roofing contractor wants me to blow insulation in the crawl space. I do have the soffits vented and I installed edge vents and ridge vents when I had the roof done.

My question is... Is there an alternate way to insulate the crawl space without blowing in insulation or rolling insulation on the floor? we typically keep a few items in the crawl space and would hate to give up the floor space.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#724933 - 08/17/12 06:14 PM Re: Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space [Re: Brewfixer]
FredDwyer Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Are your bedroom and other finished space walls insulated? Is the attic space above your second floor ceiling insulated? Are there vapor barriers on the warm side of your walls and ceiling if insulated?

#724936 - 08/17/12 06:38 PM Re: Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space [Re: FredDwyer]
Brewfixer Offline

dont think so on any of your questions. 102 YO home has all the original horse hair plaster and lattice except the 2nd floor which is a modern conversion into a bedroom (master) but was not insulated or poor attempt to insulate the dry wall only. Crawl space is above other bedrooms on the main floor, basically about 10 feet around the perimeter of the entire house. the attic is the 2nd floor. Previous owners turned the 2nd floor into a master bedroom leaving ~10' all around it for crawl space and storage. directly under the roof between the joist is not insulated. In fact, there is no insulation anywhere in the house not even old newspapers. confused

#724942 - 08/17/12 07:57 PM Re: Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space [Re: Brewfixer]
Able_Dog Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
Crawl space is UNDER a house. Sounds like what you are describing might be a "knee wall" space. Hard to advise you how to insulate it to keep from filling it with blwn insulation.

Does the bedroom ceiling slope down to the bedroom walls?

If I've got the right picture you can insulate between the rafters above that dead space behind the bedroom walls and insulate the bedroom walls.

You may have to install insulation "baffles" (may be wrong word) to allow air from your eave vents to get past the insulation. Then you can blow in the attic above the bedroom.

#724945 - 08/17/12 09:40 PM Re: Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space [Re: Able_Dog]
Brewfixer Offline

Originally Posted By: Able_Dog
Crawl space is UNDER a house. Sounds like what you are describing might be a "knee wall" space. Hard to advise you how to insulate it to keep from filling it with blwn insulation.

Does the bedroom ceiling slope down to the bedroom walls?

If I've got the right picture you can insulate between the rafters above that dead space behind the bedroom walls and insulate the bedroom walls.

You may have to install insulation "baffles" (may be wrong word) to allow air from your eave vents to get past the insulation. Then you can blow in the attic above the bedroom.

Yes I do mean Knee Wall sorry. The roof does slope down to the floor of the master bedroom upstairs. everything upstairs is drywalled except the ~10' or so beyond the walls. I was thinking of the baffles and insulation in between the rafters and all along the walls but do I still need to insulate the floors which I would like to avoid if possible but if it's the only way to achieve the R-rating needed for the warranty then that is what I have to do. Ironically, the roofing contractor just wants the floors blown in with about 18" of insulation.

#724950 - 08/18/12 07:39 AM Re: Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space [Re: Brewfixer]
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The roof does slope down to the floor of the master bedroom upstairs.

I'm not being picky but if the roof slopes down to the floor IN the master bedroom, there can't be any wall. With a knee wall the ceiling slopes down to the top of the knee wall and the rafter continues to slope down to the floor BEHIND the wall.

It's tough to advise a fix if we cannot see the conditions and it helps if you describe it accurately.

Depending upon how much room and headroom you have behind those walls determines the best way you can go about insulating them or if you can get at the rafters in there.

#724952 - 08/18/12 07:54 AM Re: Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space [Re: Brewfixer]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Maybe posting a few photos would help folks understand your structure. >>> Here's how. <<<

In the mean time, do you have access to the area behind the knee walls? Houses built in the Midwest in that era often have trap doors in adjacent rooms which provide access. If so, photos showing those access points, as well as what's inside would help.

Do you know what the purpose of the warranty stipulation was? What aspect of "winter" is causing concern? If ice dams, did you have problems with dams in the past?

#724962 - 08/18/12 10:12 AM Re: Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space [Re: Brewfixer]
dora Offline
Search and Rescue
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Somewhere under the sun
How you insulate the knee wall cavity is determined by if you want the space to be a "conditioned" or "non-conditioned" space. A conditioned space is basically part of the building envelope and is heated and treated as the rest of the interior rooms. A non-conditioned space is considered outside of the building envelop and treated like an attic. One item that is consistent with both designes is that continuous soffit to ridge ventillation must be installed and available in each rafter bay.

If you still want the space for storage yet don't want to heat (non-conditioned) it then you definatly need to insulate and airseal the floor to keep the warm moist air from the bedrooms below from escaping up into the space. To do this I suggest removing the floor boards, insulate and airseal the cavities and then reinstall the boards. Of course the backside of the bedroom wall also requires insulating and airsealing then as well. Here's an example of this type of non-conditioned space.

This article will show you how to handle the space depending on how you want to treat it.

#724964 - 08/18/12 10:21 AM Re: Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space [Re: dora]
Carpal Tunnel

That article explains it well dora.

#724991 - 08/18/12 02:10 PM Re: Insulating Attic ? Crawl Space [Re: Brewfixer]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Quote:
in order for my warranty to be valid I have to insulate my attic/crawl space

Ok, school me in why insulation (or lack)
would void the roof warranty....

I can understand - ventilation - as referred to
under a new roof, but insulation?

How does this warranty read??

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.