Have seen much talk here about "doors", how much can be cut off, what is composition, etc. The last few days I've been working to rehab a 50 year old door that was in sad shape. It is an exterior door, that was converted to interior for a beach cottage, both top and bottom stiles substantially cut down, and before I got it it was covered both sides with multiple thick coats of shellac/varnish/yuck that made it black. I was NOT going for a 'new' look, just repair the parts that were coming apart and cleanup the finish a bit. So today before putting it together I took some pix so that the 'younger crowd' can see how things were built in the old days.
First pix is AFTER it was completely taken apart, black yuck removed, sanded, and then everything hit with a quick coat of poly. (that coat will keep me from having to deal with glue stains after reassembly). The orange hammer is a deadshot deal. you can see SOME marks indicting which piece goes where, very important.
The next couple of pix show the way that the stiles and uprights fit together. note the length of the dowels!!! and the slot in the side for glue to escape. and ALSO note that there is a bit of the stile left as a tongue to fit into the upright.
At this point, every joint has been dry-fitted together,broken dowels replaced, etc. The next pix is about 9 frenzied minutes of gluing, fitting, tapping, etc. etc. later
It will set simply another coat of poly and a new handle and be good to use without falling apart. ront