Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (ldiorio, shooter), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#713581 - 04/18/12 08:53 AM Splitting a 220v line into two 110v circuits
BigJohnfromNY Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Danbury, CT USA
I've got a 220v line from an old dryer that we no longer use. I'd like to split the circuit at the dryer outlet into two 110v receptacles in different locations. The line is currently 10 AWG and is fed through a 30A double circuit breaker. My question is,"At the receptacle, can I use the red for one cricuit, the black for a second circuit and share the white and ground?" I would replace the 30a with two 20a circuit breakers. From the split I would feed the outlets with 12 AWG wire. I read the posting at the beginning of this forum, "Changing a 220V receptacle to 110V eceptacles" but it really didn't make sense to me. For code purposes, I live in the US. I'd like to do this to alleviate running new wires from the panel. Thank you very much

#713584 - 04/18/12 09:09 AM Re: Splitting a 220v line into two 110v circuits [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
You will create a multi-wire circuit. Both legs must be on opposite phases (240 volts between hots), if the dryer was heating then you know they are on opposite phases. You must use a double pole breaker on the multi-wire circuit, this is a newer requirement. Use a 20 amp double pole breaker. The neutral must be pigtailed so the removal of a device does not interrupt it. Be sure the connection is good, an open neutral will result in an over-voltage that will damage the loads. You must also have a grounding conductor in order to extend the circuit (the dryer circuit must have 4 conductors total).

#713609 - 04/18/12 11:07 AM Re: Splitting a 220v line into two 110v circuits [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
Everything you have described will be fine except that you need a double pole 20 amp breaker and not two separate 20 amp breakers.

You dryer cable must also be a four wire cable. Some of the older instals only used a three wire cable.

#713622 - 04/18/12 11:46 AM Re: Splitting a 220v line into two 110v circuits [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
BigJohnfromNY Offline
enthusiast

Thanks folks. I think I'm in good shape. The dryer feed does indeed have 4 wires if you count the ground. That is, a red, a black, a white and a non-insulated ground wire. Regarding the double pole breaker, I guess I'll have to see it to digest it and understand how it will fit into the panel. Thank you again for your quick responses.

#713624 - 04/18/12 11:48 AM Re: Splitting a 220v line into two 110v circuits [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Regarding the double pole breaker, I guess I'll have to see it to digest it and understand how it will fit into the panel.

Just like the existing 30 amp double pole for the dryer. Get one just like that except a 20 amp.

#713651 - 04/18/12 04:03 PM Re: Splitting a 220v line into two 110v circuits [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
BigJohnfromNY Offline
enthusiast

I think it's sinking in and coming together. Let describe my understanding and hopefully someone can tell me that I'm on track or straighten me out.

So I turn off the main breaker. Remove the 30a breaker. Remove the wires. Re-install the wires into the 20a double pole breaker. Re-install the breaker. At the other end, use the red wire for one hot line to one of the outlets and the black wire as the hot for the other outlet. Split the white and run one leg to each outlet. Also share the ground. Turn the main back-on.

The difference between this installation and a regular single pole breaker is that if an overload occurs on either one of the legs, both circuit breakers trip. Not a problem for my installation. Thank you again for all of you timely support and advice over the years.

#713661 - 04/18/12 05:11 PM Re: Splitting a 220v line into two 110v circuits [Re: BigJohnfromNY]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
You have it correct.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.