Handyman Wire

Who's Online
6 registered (yardmaster, Bob_Fleming, Able_Dog, eddie2004, 2 invisible), 53 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#713301 - 04/16/12 11:30 AM fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture
jhodge31 Offline

Loc: Maryland, United States
I live in America (saw somewhere we should state that first)

So, I'm replacing an old medicine cabinet with an attached fluorescent fixture to a newer cabinet and an incandescent fixture. I've replaced incandescent fixtures before, but never flurescent to incandescent. From what I've read it sounds like the wiring is the same, but that the fluorescent has a ballast that the wiring connects to first and then connects to the lighting. Knowing this, I checked out the wiring on the fluorescent (note the power was turned off) and I see only one large wire that runs into the back of the flurescent casing and is connected with two small screws. Beyond that is the casing and the light bulb (can't see much else). I'm nervous to unscrew them because I have no real idea what I'm doing and if I can't figure it out I need to be able to replace the old medicine cabinet. Any ideas on what should be done or where I can find some steps to complete this project. Thank you.

Edited by jhodge31 (04/16/12 11:30 AM)

#713304 - 04/16/12 11:50 AM Re: fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture [Re: jhodge31]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
Any lighting fixture is ultimately fed by the home's fixed wiring, which should be 12 or 14 gauge solid wire (usually in a cable form, with a black wire, white wire and a bare conductor).

Those 3 conductors are connected to your lighting fixture. In a flourescent fixture, the black and white wires will tie into the feed to a ballast, which will be smaller stranded wires that go to a black metal box with a label on it (the ballast). One wire from that ballast will go to each end of the lamp holders.

On your new incandescent fixture, those same 3 wires get connected. The fixture will have a white wire, a black wire and maybe a bare wire, or simply a green grounding screw. Connect fixture white to the white wire, fixture black to the black wire, and ground to the ground screw or ground wire.

It's quite simple and you shouldn't run into any surprises. There may be extra wires in the box, for switch loops or other items powered by the same circuit, but just pay attention to the wires that fed the ballast on your current cabinet, and use those. They may even be short "pig tails" tied into the more complex house wiring. In that case, re-use the pig tails.

J

#713307 - 04/16/12 11:58 AM Re: fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture [Re: JasonB]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Also the existing florescent fixture may have the house wiring connected right to the fixture housing. The new fixture may require a box unless it has a housing for the cable to attach. As said, it makes no difference what type of fixture it is, just pay attention to the building wiring and disregard the internal fixture wiring. If you need to change locations of where the building wiring comes out it may be more complicated. If you just have one cable enter the box it is easy if the new location is closer to where the cable came from. If its farther, if there is solid conduit, or if there are multiple cables it will be more difficult.

#713474 - 04/17/12 01:39 PM Re: fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture [Re: jhodge31]
jhodge31 Offline

Thank you both for your help! I'm going to try to take down the cabinet this weekend and check it out.

#713684 - 04/19/12 07:43 AM Re: fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture [Re: jhodge31]
jhodge31 Offline

Hi, one more quick question. So, I took down the medicine cabinet and checked out the wiring. I found the black, white and the ground wire (green I believe), but there was also a red wire attached to a black wire. My thought is that it could be for the electrical outlet that is also housed in the cabinet (forgot to mention this when I first posted). What should be done with this wire when I install the new incandescent fixture? I've attached a link to the picture using imgur. Thank you again for the help.

Wires

#713694 - 04/19/12 11:12 AM Re: fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture [Re: jhodge31]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
The black and red are both hots. Use whichever one is switched for the light. You can disconnect the other one at the switch box but capping it off at the light box will also work. Be sure to use a new wire nut listed for single wire termination, such as the B-Cap (although it must be never pre-used, since the coil expands if it was pre-used and will slip off the single wire or smaller wire combination). Some other wire nuts may slip off if covering just a single wire since the coil is too large to grab the wire.
There is no purpose of keeping that always live hot wire in the light box for a bathroom receptacle since the code now requires new wiring for a bathroom receptacle to be on its own circuit. However you can use that extra hot wire for a fan (if you don't already have one) and replace the single switch with a double switch and you will have 2 switched hots.

Edited by MCA (04/19/12 11:13 AM)

#729493 - 10/06/12 01:51 AM Re: fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture [Re: MCA]
dillondays42 Offline
first timer

Compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs use less energy, resulting in a longer life for the bulbs and lower power bills. However, CFL bulbs do differ from traditional incandescent bulbs.

Thanks !

Edited by Ernie (10/07/12 09:55 AM)

#729497 - 10/06/12 04:21 AM Re: fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture [Re: dillondays42]
jewelreny06 Offline
first timer

I am trying to replace a kitchen fluorescent light with a 4x40 Watt incandescent strip from B&Q. I assumed I could just disconnect the existing fixture wires and substitute my new fixture wires in an identical way. I was careful to note how the existing wires were connected and I have switched off at the main fuse box.. Problem is the wiring looks more complex than others I have changed and I am not sure how to proceed.

Edited by Ernie (10/07/12 09:52 AM)

#729583 - 10/07/12 08:30 AM Re: fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture [Re: jewelreny06]
Able_Dog Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
Subtle spam?

#729584 - 10/07/12 08:31 AM Re: fluorescent light fixture to incandescent fixture [Re: Able_Dog]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Originally Posted By: Able_Dog
Subtle spam?

Not so sublte if ya ask me... I hit "Notify" the other day when it first appeared. No action by any mods...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.