Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#711644 - 04/03/12 04:15 PM Consumer Reports on Supermarkets
rfm3 Offline
" The Duke "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Guarding the West NY Border an...
Best Supermarkets

Wegmans is the best supermarket chain in the U.S., according to the latest Consumer Reports survey.

Feedback from 24,203 readers found that the Rochester-based grocery store chain was the nation's favorite, followed by Trader Joe's and Publix. Customers gave the top picks lots of praise for service and cleanliness, but a shortage of checkout lines was a common complaint with all 52 supermarkets in the survey.

Wegmans, No. 4 on Fortune's 2012 'Best Companies' list, operates in New York and five other states in the Northeast.

Trader Joe's, a California-based company, recently announced plans to open locations in Rochester and Albany but Syracuse won't be getting one in at least the next two years. Publix has more than 1,000 locations all in the south, most of which are in its home state of Florida.

According to MSNBC, the top three grocery store chains were the same for the third year in a row, and so were the bottom three.

Pathmark, Walmart, and Shaw's were rated the three worst supermarkets. Walmart received excellent ratings for its prices, but both Walmart and Northeast-based Pathmark got the lowest marks for service.

The stores with the five highest ratings were:

1. Wegmans
2. Trader Joe's
3. Publix
4. Fareway Stores
5. Costco

The stores that received the lowest ratings were:

48. Jewel-Osco
49. A&P
50. Shaw's
51. Walmart Supercenter
52. Pathmark

#711646 - 04/03/12 04:26 PM Re: Consumer Reports on Supermarkets [Re: rfm3]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
If Costco is anything like Sam's they are not a full service supermarket. Although we have both here, Sam's Club does come close with all major departments represented.

Perhaps the only thing lacking besides the wide variety of brands to choose, would be the lack of a deli. Canned and dry food products are also not well represented in a Sam's Club. I visted a Costco once when it first came to town a few years back, so I do not know the full extent of their product line as I know Sam's.

As for those others you mentioned except for Wal*Mart Supercenters we do not have any of those stores.

We have Kroger, Meijer's and Giant Eagle. The smaller Aldi with a limited selection is also in our area.

#711652 - 04/03/12 04:53 PM Re: Consumer Reports on Supermarkets [Re: rfm3]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
Love Trader Joes but the few I've seen I would not call "supermarkets".

My wife misses Publix since we left Florida, we were a mile a way, here the nearest Publix is about 22 miles. Publix has a great bakery and makes some great breads.

Never heard of "Wegmans"

#711665 - 04/03/12 06:00 PM Re: Consumer Reports on Supermarkets [Re: rfm3]
Bob_Fleming Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
Never heard of Wegman's, Publix, Fairway, Shaw,s or Pathmark. In SoCA Trader Joe's was a speciality store that had all sorts of weird and foreign stuff, but little of what I would buy; hardly a supermarket. I've heard of Jewel and A&P but haven't seen one of those in ages.

There are Costco and Walmart within driving distance of here. Both Walmarts are too far to make it worth the drive, but we frequently stop there if we are in the area. The few times we have been there the checkout lines have been reasonable.

Costco is a favorite in this area; clean store, reasonable checkout lines and good prices, but it is a membership store and I would not call it a supermarket because of that. The service there has been good.

When we moved here the only supermarket in town was a City Market, a branch of Krogers. They are smaller physically than Costco but their prices are good and service is excellent. When Costco came to town, City Market didn't whimper and die; they upgraded and set up a deli. I go there maybe twice a week.

#711667 - 04/03/12 06:58 PM Re: Consumer Reports on Supermarkets [Re: rfm3]
JMac Offline
veteran

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
Wegmans are a fantastic store. We visit one when we go see family in Pennsylvania. Coolest supermarket I've ever been to.

Aldi and Trader Joes are owned by the same company. Aldi has a lot of their own brands, I've been to the one in our town a couple of times, I'm not over impressed. When I lived in VA I belonged to Price Club that later merged with Costco and took the Costco name. They are like Sam's Club and BJ's and aren't full service supermarkets.

In our area we have Kroger, Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Lowe's Foods, Trader Joe's, Aldi, Wal*Mart Super Centers, Target/Super Target, BJ's, Sam's Club and in Raleigh a Costco. We also have Whole Foods and Fresh Market.

#711687 - 04/04/12 05:59 AM Re: Consumer Reports on Supermarkets [Re: EAP]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
We like Meijers here, good bakery and fresh fish counter, but we shop around a bit for the best prices. D&W is a high end store, with top quality products at "over-the-top" prices.

Aldis is the place to get basic staples like canned tomatoes, beans, ketchup, etc. There are a certain few items at Wal-mart that take us there.

They all are showing an inflationary increase in prices. Kinda curious about Wal-Mart and their new cost cutting prices, though.

#711689 - 04/04/12 06:07 AM Re: Consumer Reports on Supermarkets [Re: rfm3]
rfm3 Offline
" The Duke "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Guarding the West NY Border an...
OK a bit of shameless local horn tooting, Wegmans is a local store but they are branching out in Northeast and are in NY, Massachussets, New Jersey, Maryland, Pennsylbania, Viginia.

They pretty much are THE supermarket around here although Tops and Aldi and Pricerite will beat them in some items.

I know a Trader Joe is supposed to open here soon

#711696 - 04/04/12 06:45 AM Re: Consumer Reports on Supermarkets [Re: rfm3]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
Meijers started out here in SW Michigan, then slowly, but surely, they have branched out to five states.

#711697 - 04/04/12 06:58 AM Re: Consumer Reports on Supermarkets [Re: rfm3]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Seneca Nation
I buy some items at Wegmans. They carry almost exclusively their own brands. Very few brand names or selection of sizes. The stores are clean and well stocked. I buy WPOP Diet Cola with Lime their own brand in 2 liter bottles. ($.89) Pepsi or Coke is $1.50 or more.
Spending about 8 hours a day talking on the phone I drink a large volume to keep talking without losing my voice. I drink about 2 quarts of ice water the rest is pop. My one vice besides ATS.
Their fresh bread is very good I buy Pane French bread + wife buys 7 grain we freeze and take a slice a day out. My carb limit.
I am old enough and work hard enough to be brand specific. If I am going to eat it, it has to be the best. Prince Casserole elbows are one thing I cannot get there.
My favorite store is Hanford they are out of Boston and come as far west as route 81. Closest is Watertown.

RIP RS

#711700 - 04/04/12 07:16 AM Re: Consumer Reports on Supermarkets [Re: code_ceis]
JMac Offline
veteran

Loc: Cary, North Carolina
Hannaford got bought by Food Lion a number of years ago, and they sold the local stores here to Lowe's because Food Lion is a major player in our town. Biggest mistake Food Lion made was not changing the name of the chain to Hannaford. Hannaford was a good chain when it was here, Food Lion will always be known as a lower end store with an unfortunate 60 Minutes segment on their meat department.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob_Q, CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.