Handyman Wire

Who's Online
5 registered (twoshoes, Able_Dog, Bob_Q, wsommariva, 1 invisible), 39 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#711569 - 04/03/12 07:08 AM How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool
Japper Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wisconsin
I have an above ground 27' round pool and the liner is about 5 years old
but last fall the water level started to slowly go down.

I covered the pool this winter and just took a peek into the pool yesterday and saw that the
water level is almost a foot deep (from the bottom of the pool) now...

I was talking with a friend who had a similar problem with his in-ground pool and
asked him if the leak would be at or near the current water level. He told me that his
was a small dark spec on the bottom of his pool which was quite a distance below the water line.

I noticed that my pool has a lot of leaves on the bottom due to a rip in the winter cover,
so I am wondering if anyone can suggest how I find and repair this leak.

I would like to avoid the costly expense (~ $350) of replacing the liner if I can, as my kids are getting older
and most likely won't use it after another season or two...

Any helpful suggestions on how to locate and fix this leak is appreciated.

thanks

#711582 - 04/03/12 08:47 AM Re: How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool [Re: Japper]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Well, since it's down that low, and I expect you don't have any
bottom suction fittings, that rules out all the plumbing.

You'll havta get rid of the leaves, but while it's only a foot deep,
makes it simpler. (no underwater diving)

Inspect the water line....
check all the seams for splitting....
seam leaks are harder to repair.

Walk/crawl around the bottom and look/feel for a small depression
that would be made by water leaking out...a small leak, over time,
will create a depression where sand has washed out.

More obvious spots would be where the ladder sits, etc.

If it's so small or hidden in a seam you can't find it,
the pool company has (or knows who does) an electronic gadget
that will find it.

5 years is not old for a liner, so you should be able to
repair and get more life out of it.

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#711905 - 04/05/12 05:48 PM Re: How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool [Re: BillJeffy]
pennypicher Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: New England
As Bill said. We installed a new liner and it was defective. Lost 3" a day. Finally found it where the vertical and horzintal seams meet. So it took us most of the summer to get swimming.

#712399 - 04/10/12 05:17 AM Re: How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool [Re: Japper]
Japper Offline
enthusiast

thanks for the suggestions.

I am waiting for a few more weeks for the weather to warm up a bit before removing what's left of the cover and cleaning up the bottom of the pool. With not much water and a lot of leaves in the bottom, I am not sure how well I can clean it up to inspect the bottom.

Do most of the pool patches require a dry surface to make for a good seal?

#712582 - 04/10/12 08:01 PM Re: How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool [Re: Japper]
pennypicher Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: New England
No there are wet patches you can apply underwater. Just so you don't have to drain the water. Be carefull because if the whole liner is exposed to the hot sun it can shrink and tear. The water keeps it cool so don't wait to fill it.

#715780 - 05/09/12 12:37 PM Re: How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool [Re: pennypicher]
Japper Offline
enthusiast

I still have about 1 foot deep water in the pool and have been cleaning the bottom with a little way to go yet but I am not seeing anything yet that stands out that could be where it is leaking... But I am not sure what the tell tale signs are either.

I have been looking at the seam that is over the cove base and it looks fine.

I looked where the ladder has made an impression on the liner and although it is depressed into the sand base under it, the seam around the inside perimeter of the pool appears to be fine.

I was told that I can't assume that the leak is at or near the level of the water line in the pool but what should I be looking for?

Is there any typical signs that might indicate where the leak is like eroded sand under the liner?

My liner is quite uneven and bumpy from the sand under it so I am not sure if I would even be able to detect a backwash of the sand under the liner.

The outside bottom edge of the pool is covered with dirt & grass so I don't see any water puddling outside the pool but I wouldn't expect to see it there anyway with the sand cove base that I have around the inside perimeter of the pool under the liner.

So, are there any tricks or methods that can aid in locating this leak?

#716007 - 05/11/12 05:11 PM Re: How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool [Re: Japper]
Japper Offline
enthusiast

Gonna make a hydrophone like the experts use... bought a cheap
microphone kit that is on the way via snail mail and I will report back how it works or if it doesn't...

#716011 - 05/11/12 05:33 PM Re: How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool [Re: Japper]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Worth a shot, I guess....

Lettuce know.

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#719353 - 06/21/12 05:10 AM Re: How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool [Re: BillJeffy]
Japper Offline
enthusiast

Turns out it was a couple of hoses with slow leaks...

The Hydrophone does work and for what it is worth, here is a clip on how to build one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k7ExjpewyU

#722625 - 07/22/12 07:39 PM Re: How to find and repair a leak in above ground pool [Re: Japper]
Japper Offline
enthusiast

Well it started to leak again and this time I found it... Turns out that water is coming out of the backwash hose on my tagelus sand filter when the pump is running and the filter is set to the filter position. There is still pressure out of the sand filter port back into the pool but some water is leaking out the backwash hose at the same time...

I have a tagelus manual and it looks like the head on this sand filter is not serviceable. Not sure what a new head might cost... Anyone know of a place that sells these cheap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.