Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (Clint_Robbins, 2 invisible), 50 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#705933 - 02/17/12 11:45 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: DonkeyDave]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vanceboro, NC
Quote:
I get the impression that most people want to lay the blame for the decline in her quality of life on her husband. Just in case no one else has thought of it, I'd like to point out that she had reasons of her own for being attracted to a dirtbag. She was an adult and responsible for her own actions. I'll be the first to say she had the voice of an angel and one of the most beautiful faces I've ever seen but obviously she wasn't without some character defects of her own. I don't see her as a hero. I see her as someone who was blessed and blew it.

Well stated!

#706388 - 02/21/12 04:52 PM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
Sounds like Governor Christie may be a P.R. hound.

Good posts everyone.

#706391 - 02/21/12 05:05 PM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: EAP]
bljack Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Central Jersey
I was quite disgusted with the flag lowering. I think it's am honor that should be reserved for fallen troops, and those who devoted their lives to public service who either died in their time in office or later in life after retiring with honorable service. Other situations situations such as those who were not in the service but died honorably serving other americans such as the fireman and police officers that died when the towers were brought down by a pair of airplanes. Lowering it for whitney demeans it. An eleven year old girl was killed in atragic school bus accident in my town last week and people was calling for it to be lowered after that. Have we allowed our standards to be reduced that much? He lowered it for Clarence Clemmems too. Prior to that it was only Sinatra and Hope. I don't know of sinatra served but there it's no question the amount of time that Bob Hope served our troops.

#706394 - 02/21/12 05:13 PM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: bljack]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sinatra did not serve in the armed forces during WWII due to physical disqualifications.

Before Elvis girls screamed at the crooner Frank Sinatra. Servicemen used to joke that they screamed at mice too. I'm sure you can make the connection. I must say I like Frank's music, all the same.

Anyway, I agree even if the governor has the authority to order flag raisings at half staffs, he/she should exercise due diligence.

#706442 - 02/22/12 06:07 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: DonkeyDave]
Dennis_H_N.J. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Toms River, N.J.
Fantastic, Dave.. I wish I could put words together as well as you..

#706443 - 02/22/12 06:10 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: EAP]
Dennis_H_N.J. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Toms River, N.J.
1st let me say that I really admire Christie.. But I think he dropped the ball on this one.. I strongly suspect he was pressured by certain groups to do it... I say pick your battles to win the war.. This guy has his hands full in this state..

#706444 - 02/22/12 06:14 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: Dennis_H_N.J.]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
I personally don't have a problem with NJ honoring one of their people...

"Governors of the several U.S. states or territories are authorized by federal law to order all U.S. and state flags in their jurisdiction flown at half-staff as a mark of respect for a state official or resident who has died." HERE.

And I agree with the previous post that indicated she had her own "demons" which obviously led her into the arms of Brown. And while she rid herself of him, she obviously had some pretty significant remaining personal issues... Sad.

#706447 - 02/22/12 06:35 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: EAP]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
I'm with you, Al. We follow the directive with our flags at the shop. To me, it's show of mourning for the departed.

#706449 - 02/22/12 06:38 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: mommapup.]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Well, when I did some research on the proper etiquette of flying the flag, and specifically the half-mast issue, I learned some interesting things.

Also, there's a whole generation (or two) now that didn't serve in the military. People who have made significant contributions to society...

I'm quite OK with this for Houston, as I said above.

Just my opinion. whistle

#706626 - 02/23/12 05:32 PM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: CabinConnection]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I read in Huff Post/AOL that her (their) daughter is pretty screwed up on drugs herself now. The grandmother (Whitney's mom) is on record saying she's not going to let history repeat itself (in so mnay words).

I wonder if Brown has gotten himself sober?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bob_Q, Ernie, FranS 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.