Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 24 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#705917 - 02/17/12 10:50 AM What's Up with Governor Christie?
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
The flag for one is not. He ordered that they be put at half-mast to honor the memory of NJ native Whitney Houston.

Some people have a problem with this. After all she was not a hero. An icon perhaps, a great singer for sure. But no hero.

I'm sure that New Jersey has had some of their finest die as heroes in wars, etc. However have they been honored in a similar fashion?

Just wondering what the pulse around here might be?

Personally, I think it is probably a stretch to go and do that.

#705918 - 02/17/12 10:58 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: EAP]
grizzly Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: penna.

...i've heard it's OK 'cause they did the same thing for sinatra and others. wink

Equal justice instead of social justice, every time.

There is nothing new under the sun, and nature, not man, rules the climate system.

#705919 - 02/17/12 10:59 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: EAP]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vanceboro, NC
Bottom line is he has the right to so order the flag flown.
He's not the type to much care what people think about it.

#705921 - 02/17/12 11:04 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: EAP]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I'm sure that New Jersey has had some of their finest die as heroes in wars, etc. However have they been honored in a similar fashion?

Apparently they have, at least during his administration:

Quote:
Gov. Chris Christie issued an executive order Thursday afternoon calling for state flags to be flown at half-staff on Feb. 21 in honor of Lance Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca.
The executive order read:

The flag of the United States of America and the flag of the State of New Jersey shall be flown at half-staff at all State departments, offices, agencies, and instrumentalities during appropriate hours on Tuesday, February 21, 2012, in recognition and mourning of a brave and loyal American hero, United States Marine Lance Corporal Osbrany Montes De Oca.

Christie has come under criticism this week for having previously ordered flags at half-staff in honor of Whitney Houston, but defended the move in a recent press conference, citing Houston's cultural contributions.
He said Wednesday that every fallen soldier from the state of New Jersey has received the honor during his administration.
Montes De Oca was memorialized at a candlelight vigil outside his family's home last night, and flags have been flying at half-staff in his hometown of North Arlington since Wednesday morning.
Another executive order earlier Thursday formalized Christie's controversial decision to fly flags at half-staff for Houston.

#705922 - 02/17/12 11:06 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
grizzly Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Uncle_Alvah
Bottom line is he has the right to so order the flag flown.
He's not the type to much care what people think about it.

...true. but some military families are getting upset.

There is nothing new under the sun, and nature, not man, rules the climate system.

#705923 - 02/17/12 11:10 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: EAP]
rfm3 Offline
" The Duke "
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Guarding the West NY Border an...
Yep, he has the right I guess to fly the flag at half mast as he wishes as mentioned above. Do I feel it should be done for Whitney? No, but that is just my opinion. I do not feel celebrities are in the same category as military people but again, just my opinion

#705924 - 02/17/12 11:10 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: grizzly]
Uncle_Alvah Offline
" Serial Griller "
Carpal Tunnel

Lord forbid anything happens to Snookie! whistle

#705926 - 02/17/12 11:13 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: Uncle_Alvah]
grizzly Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Uncle_Alvah
Lord forbid anything happens to Snookie! whistle

... crazy

#705930 - 02/17/12 11:36 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: grizzly]
dave Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SE Minnesota
From the Flag "Etiquette Standards of Conduct":

"The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order. "

#705932 - 02/17/12 11:42 AM Re: What's Up with Governor Christie? [Re: EAP]
DonkeyDave Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Florence, Arizona
I don't read the tabloids except the front pages while I'm waiting in the supermarket checkout line but I have formed a couple of opinions on the whole Whitney Houston matter.

I get the impression that most people want to lay the blame for the decline in her quality of life on her husband. Just in case no one else has thought of it, I'd like to point out that she had reasons of her own for being attracted to a dirtbag. She was an adult and responsible for her own actions. I'll be the first to say she had the voice of an angel and one of the most beautiful faces I've ever seen but obviously she wasn't without some character defects of her own. I don't see her as a hero. I see her as someone who was blessed and blew it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bob_Q, CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.