Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#702396 - 01/23/12 07:01 PM Black Poly tubing, how to straighten it??
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Kalama, Washington
You guys have any tricks on straighten black poly tubing?? This is the stuff that comes in rolls from HD that can be used for water supply lines, say from a well to the house.

I am using it to setup a system to pump rain water from water barrels to my green house. I have a pressure pump and this tubing was cheaper than PEX being I needed 1" tubing per the instructions with the pump.

I purchased a 100ft roll, and when I went to start laying out my system, the tubing was not as easy to work with as I thought.

Any ideas on how to get these pieces to straighten out?? One thing I have read was using a heat gun or hair dryer….

Edited by New_Climber (01/23/12 07:01 PM)

#702397 - 01/23/12 07:15 PM Re: Black Poly tubing, how to straighten it?? [Re: New_Climber]
Clint_Robbins Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
Plastic shapes have a memory and, when heated, will try to return to their original shape. I've straightened many deformed plastic items (including car bumpers) by heating them with a heat gun. To straighten plastic pipe, I would anchor one end and unroll it against a floor while heating it.

#702403 - 01/23/12 07:47 PM Re: Black Poly tubing, how to straighten it?? [Re: New_Climber]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Run *HOT* water through it....

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#702404 - 01/23/12 07:51 PM Re: Black Poly tubing, how to straighten it?? [Re: New_Climber]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
I know this is the wrong time of year for you, but it'll be much easier to work with in the sun. As others have said, heat is your friend. Not sure how long or what diameter you're working with, so some options may be impossible...

#702407 - 01/23/12 07:57 PM Re: Black Poly tubing, how to straighten it?? [Re: CabinConnection]
New_Climber Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Kalama, Washington
I will try my wife's hair dryer or run hot water as stated...

I am working with 1" diameter...I tried with a small 3ft section and it looked like it worked using the hair dryer...

If I was using this to run a new water line from a well...Geeze, it would be a real pain in the backside...

#702408 - 01/23/12 08:00 PM Re: Black Poly tubing, how to straighten it?? [Re: New_Climber]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Shorter lengths - yep, blow the hot air in through the pipe.

#702436 - 01/24/12 05:48 AM Re: Black Poly tubing, how to straighten it?? [Re: New_Climber]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
They use a similar type of pipe in gas stations these days. They will tape a heat gun to one end of the pipe, and allow that to heat the pipe. When they're ready to install, they cut off the first 2' (overheated) and the rest is pliable.

J

#702437 - 01/24/12 05:50 AM Re: Black Poly tubing, how to straighten it?? [Re: JasonB]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Ya know... Great idea! Run a length of heat tape (like the stuff used to keep pipes from freezing) inside the plastic pipe! Use the ones without a t-stat though... smile

It doesn't take much to warm that stuff enough to make it pliable. May want to tape the ends off as needed to keep the cool air from flowing through...

#702721 - 01/25/12 10:52 AM Re: Black Poly tubing, how to straighten it?? [Re: CabinConnection]
wsommariva Offline
Handyman

Loc: Northern NJ
Maybe straighten it out inside a heated home, then quickly run outside and place it where it belongs.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.