Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (Chas311, twoshoes, 1 invisible), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
New Reply
Topic Options
#697902 - 12/23/11 07:26 AM Liftmaster garage door opener trouble Model 1255
wsommariva Offline
veteran

Loc: Northern NJ
Hi everyone. My drive gear failed so I replaced it. When I was reinstalling the logic board with the unit plugged in, I fried it. So I bought a new logic board and installed it. Now the motor hums and the door does not move. Diagnostic says maybe a bad RPM sensor. Question is think the RPM sensor was also fried when the logic board was? Liftmaster customer service is closed for the holidays.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#697904 - 12/23/11 07:51 AM Re: Liftmaster garage door opener trouble Model 1255 [Re: wsommariva]
Holmesuser01 Offline
veteran

Loc: Asheville, NC USA
If the motor hums, but does not turn, try turning it by hand. If you can easily do this, replace the motor capacitor.

I worked on alot of Chamberlain GDO's when I worked at Sears. Lots of logic boards, lots of stripped gears, and only one bad motor. Impressive!

Oh yeah, You might need to cycle the opener. You should disconnect the drive chain and let it run from one end of travel to the other.

Edited by Holmesuser01 (12/23/11 07:53 AM)

#697909 - 12/23/11 09:01 AM Re: Liftmaster garage door opener trouble Model 1255 [Re: Holmesuser01]
wsommariva Offline
veteran

Loc: Northern NJ
Capacitor it was!!! Thanks very very much!!!! I actually reversed the wiring when I re-installed it after changing the gear drive!!!!

#713494 - 04/17/12 05:12 PM Re: Liftmaster garage door opener trouble Model 1255 [Re: wsommariva]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need some help I replace the gears in a
1255lm now it only goes 12 in. and then goes back please help

#713520 - 04/17/12 09:17 PM Re: Liftmaster garage door opener trouble Model 1255 [Re: wsommariva]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
If you order the replacement gear kit it comes with step by step instructions how to change them.

#755764 - 05/20/13 02:28 PM Re: Liftmaster garage door opener trouble Model 1255 [Re: wsommariva]
Anonymous
Unregistered

How to I test an rpm sensor?

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.