Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#693289 - 11/18/11 06:57 AM Low flow on Moen CA87530
christopher45103 Offline
journeyman

I replaced my 20 year old kitchen faucet with a Moen CA87530. While it works, the flow rate is considerably lower than the old one. I suspect that this would be common of any new eco-friendly faucet. Conserving water is a good idea, but it's the kitchen sink. Filling pans of water or the dog's water bowl takes longer, which is irritating. The sprayer is also lower flow and lacks the power to blast dishes clean.

Water valves are open all the way and no kinks in the supply lines. Is there any way to remove the cartridge and take out a flow restricting orifice?

Christopher

#693291 - 11/18/11 07:21 AM Re: Low flow on Moen CA87530 [Re: christopher45103]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Moen's site says that's a 2.2GPM flow rate faucet. Assuming your house water pressure is OK, then take a bucket or pot and confirm the faucet's delivery. (One gallon should take about 29 seconds.) For grins I'd run the test both with and without the aerator in place, however because you say the sprayer is "low" also I can't imagine this being a factor.

If you're off from the 2.2GPM, then investigate further. Moen's customer service is pretty good - I'd call them to see if you can do anything else.

#693395 - 11/18/11 10:28 PM Re: Low flow on Moen CA87530 [Re: christopher45103]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
If I had a customer with your complaint, I'd make sure the faucet seemed to be operating normally and the aerator is clean, then, I'd look at other things. I'd start with the shut off valves as they can restrict the water flow due to mineral build up or a stuck washer. I've also found a clogged supply line.

One way to check things out is to shut off the water at the supply valve, then, disconnect the feed to the faucet. Connect a temporary supply line to the valve and direct the other end into a bucket and turn the water on. See what kind of flow you get, it should be forceful. Try the same test with the other supply side. The results will tell you if you're getting good pressure to the supply valves or not.

If so, work your way up toward the faucet. If not, work your way back down the supply side of the line, starting with the valve itself, I find that's a common problem and if in doubt, I just replace them with ball valves.

Good luck, let us know what you figure out. Bob.

#693414 - 11/19/11 09:13 AM Re: Low flow on Moen CA87530 [Re: christopher45103]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Take out the aerator (on spout) and test flow....

If that does it for you, contact moen and request higher flow aerator.

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#693486 - 11/20/11 08:21 AM Re: Low flow on Moen CA87530 [Re: christopher45103]
christopher45103 Offline
journeyman

Thanks all for the advise so far. Initial testing with a bucket under the faucet show a flow rate of 1.2 gpm. WIth the aerator removed the flow is slightly improved to 1.25 gpm. No visible different in flow between hot and cold water, and testing was done with the lever in the middle position.

The supply line connections I used (valve to faucet) are the pex type which seemed as though they would be easier to work with than the braided hose which in my situation would require a loop. The connections on the original faucet were thin metal tubing, which I've never worked with.

Any comments on which connection is best are welcome. I'll do some flow testing later as advised though it might have to wait until after Thanksgiving.

Christopher

#693495 - 11/20/11 09:18 AM Re: Low flow on Moen CA87530 [Re: christopher45103]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Considering the tubes attached to the faucet are usually smaller
than the supply lines, "unless you have some blockage",
that's all you're gonna get.

Also, the spray head usually has a higher flow than the faucet,
which, if slow, indicates a supply problem.

There's nothing internal to the faucet that can be adjusted to increase flow, but the correct feed pressure 'should' result in reasonable flow.

If the previous faucet was better, it may just be a quirk with this one, which, BTW has been discontinued by Moen...?

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#694019 - 11/24/11 06:03 AM Re: Low flow on Moen CA87530 [Re: christopher45103]
christopher45103 Offline
journeyman

The faucet that I replaced was at least 20 years old and built before lower flows were mandatory. I thought that was the reason for the difference in flows until I measured with a bucket. While I will probably have a lower flow, it should be 2.2 gpm or pretty close.

The shut-off valves hadn't been turned off in at least 10 years and required some effort to get them to start turning. They did shut off completely during the install and they didn't leak for long at the stems when the water was turned back on. While all seems well, I suppose there could be some crud that broke loose inside and has now partially clogged the lines.

I'll post an update when I get it resolved.

#694067 - 11/24/11 10:14 PM Re: Low flow on Moen CA87530 [Re: christopher45103]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
Knowing that your shut off valves haven't been operated recently, I'd sure suspect them as a problem for a low flow. I've experienced too many cases of the washer inside the valve swelling enough that it wouldn't fully retract when a closed valve was re-opened. The obstructing washer will reduce flow through the valve.

Also, you can have a mineral buildup inside the valve that will restrict flow.

Check 'em out.

Bob.

#694075 - 11/25/11 04:43 AM Re: Low flow on Moen CA87530 [Re: christopher45103]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
What size supply lines did you use?

What's wrong with a looped line?

Possible a piece of debris broke loose and got into the valve restricting flow - probably worth pulling it apart and inspecting/cleaning.

Did you call Moen?

#694462 - 11/28/11 05:43 PM Re: Low flow on Moen CA87530 [Re: christopher45103]
Punky Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Springville, NY
since the valves were not turned in lots of years it could be the washer itself that broke apart and clogged up the works. if they are turned off now and the faucet is turned on and water still drizzles out, i'd suspect destruction of the washers.

or, as suggested before, crud from inside the valves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.