Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
New Reply
Topic Options
#690403 - 10/26/11 07:56 PM Replacement Windows: flange vs. no flange
dhclarko
Unregistered

I'm replacing 7 windows in a 1950 house. The house is wood frame with cedar shake siding that has been covered in vinyl siding. The current windows are aluminum, probably '70s vintage. I want to replace the aluminum windows with vinyl windows.

I got a bid for $4600 from one company that uses no-flange windows. They have a 25-year guarantee on product and installation.

The next lowest bid was from a company which uses only windows with flanges. They told me the "glue-and-screw" windows will eventually leak (because the caulk will eventually fail), while their windows, with flanges, won't. However, the guarantee is similar. Their bid was for almost $7000.

I don't want to spend the extra $2400 if I don't have to, but I don't want to sentence myself to a future of fixing leaky windows by going with the cheap option now.

Are "glue-and-screw" flangeless windows a bad idea?

One other consideration: I want to remove the vinyl siding and return the house to its cedar shake shell. I realize the window detailing was probably ruined when the vinyl went on -- but do either of these replacement options have a bearing on that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#690406 - 10/26/11 08:18 PM Re: Replacement Windows: flange vs. no flange [Re: Anonymous]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
How many windows are you talking about?

Have to be careful with windows, the way some are marketed there is a huge markup for the salesman.

I don't believe I ever heard the term "glue and screw" with windows. Doesn't matter but I'd be curious if anyone else has.

Sounds like a made up, put down name by the flange window guy.

#690408 - 10/26/11 08:19 PM Re: Replacement Windows: flange vs. no flange [Re: Anonymous]
Punky Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Springville, NY
first - i'm NO expert

i've always used the flanged windows. to me, they have been easier to install and seal. never had problems with them and i've used them in demanding applications - windy storage sheds, garages, etc. with no leaks or other problems. these were vinyl cheapies from lowes.

my uncle has used wood nail-in non-flanged windows and has had nothing but problems. mostly wood rot and air leaks from around the edges. he is also in a windy area.

#690425 - 10/27/11 01:19 AM Re: Replacement Windows: flange vs. no flange [Re: Punky]
Marq Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Romeo, MI
The flange windows will require some siding from around the window to be removed so the flanges (new construction) can be installed.

The problem with the non-flange windows is that it's tough to get a really good seal.

I just replaced a wood window that had a brick ledge around it (similar to to a flanged window) and I removed extra siding and installed cedar 1x4 around the perimeter. I also use membrane and flashing so it's not going to leak.

Some replacement window have the flange that can be removed so the cost of the window is basically the same, it's the installaion that will drive up the cost.

Personally I would not install a window without a flange, It has a greater chance to leak, but again I would install them my self so the extra installation cost is not part of the equation.

#690439 - 10/27/11 05:51 AM Re: Replacement Windows: flange vs. no flange [Re: Anonymous]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
when siding is difficult or very expensive to remove/replace, I use the old aluminum frame as a stop for the new windows w/out flanges. Your siding is fairly easy to remove/replace, so I would use flanges. As suggested above, they seal better and are easier to flash properly.

#690445 - 10/27/11 06:32 AM Re: Replacement Windows: flange vs. no flange [Re: Just_Bill]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
Originally Posted By: Just_Bill
when siding is difficult or very expensive to remove/replace, I use the old aluminum frame as a stop for the new windows w/out flanges. Your siding is fairly easy to remove/replace, so I would use flanges. As suggested above, they seal better and are easier to flash properly.

All true but the price difference between flange and no flange is negligible.

I too like the flange windows. He's going to remove siding so there's no problem there but he should not be paying $2400 more to get flanged windows.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.