Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (EDWARDS, 3 invisible), 58 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#676927 - 07/24/11 05:47 PM Tap into copper water line for ice maker
cpedrich Offline
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
I am moving my fridge from one side of the kitchen to the other. Right now, the ice maker line is hooked up to an old washing machine water spigot with an adaptor valve. I am moving the fridge over to the other side of the kitchen and will need to install a new water line. Would a saddle valve work OK for this or should I solder in a copper "T" and run from there? Thanks!!!

#676928 - 07/24/11 06:12 PM Re: Tap into copper water line for ice maker [Re: cpedrich]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
I've seen saddles fine for 30 years... But keep reading/hearing of catastrophes... So...

Solder a T or put a splitter under the sink...

And if you go the T route, don't forget to add a shut-off.

#676929 - 07/24/11 10:14 PM Re: Tap into copper water line for ice maker [Re: CabinConnection]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
I agree. I prefer to sweat in a T and add a shutoff right at the feed to the ice maker. It's easy to find a typical 1/2" to 1/4" shutoff valve. I like those braided stainless steel lines, too, but, I think 8" is the longest I've seen.

Bob.

#676930 - 07/25/11 06:14 AM Re: Tap into copper water line for ice maker [Re: cpedrich]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
I have found a nice ball valve assy at plumbing stores that solves those problems. Just for ice makers or humidifiers. I have not seen them in big box stores.

#676931 - 07/25/11 06:18 AM Re: Tap into copper water line for ice maker [Re: Just_Bill]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
The one that has two ports? If so I've seen 'em at the big boxes... That what I was referring to when I said split the line under the sink.

Note the side port is "fridge size". And there's a compression fitting version as well, REALLY nice for under sink use.

#676932 - 07/25/11 07:50 AM Re: Tap into copper water line for ice maker [Re: RCovell]
grizzly Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: penna.
...ran across this long line that may help.

#676933 - 07/25/11 01:46 PM Re: Tap into copper water line for ice maker [Re: grizzly]
cpedrich Offline
enthusiast

Thanks for the replies...I am going to use the saddle for the time being since I need to do something really quick in order to do finish work. My father in law said he would go back and add the T in the next week or so.

#676934 - 08/08/11 12:34 PM Re: Tap into copper water line for ice maker [Re: cpedrich]
cpedrich Offline
enthusiast

Just as a follow up. I used a shark bite "t" and it is working great.

#676935 - 08/10/11 02:09 PM Re: Tap into copper water line for ice maker [Re: cpedrich]
EAP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The HEARTland - Ohio
I would not personally recommend the use of saddle valves because while some may work for decades (iffy), what happens in a situation like yours where a new line needs to be run and the old saddle valve is left in an environment where it may get closed in (not legal) but happens?

I am glad you went with a "tee". CC had two excellent alternative suggestions above.

For the record, you can get braided hose in lengths up to 20 feet at least around these parts at Menards.

Moderator:  Bob_Q, Clint_Robbins, Ernie, FranS 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.