Handyman Wire

Who's Online
6 registered (Bob_Fleming, twoshoes, KenH, Able_Dog, 2 invisible), 49 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
New Reply
Topic Options
#670530 - 06/09/11 05:19 PM securing a patio gazebo? recommendations?
Kremlar Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Looking to purchase one of those $300-$500 gazebos, something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors/h_d1/N...catalogId=10053

But not necessarily that particular one - we're still shopping around.

I'd like to have this on my patio (smaller, standard brick-size blocks) and am wondering what the best way to secure it to the ground would be. The patio is larger than the gazebo will be.

I was thinking of pulling up a few patio bricks and pouring in a bit of cement, and bolting to the cement, but looking at the reviews (and the products themselves) I can't see this holding up more than a few years. With the various designs, I'm afraid in the future when I replace it that the posts might not match up to the same locations and not match up with the cement I poured.

I also thought about drilling right down into the patio blocks, but I'm not sure if they would be strong enough to hold the gazebo against the wind and perhaps the bricks might crack.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had any creative ideas. What's the easiest way to secure these, accounting for the fact that might have to replace the whole thing in 3 years?

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#670531 - 06/09/11 06:05 PM Re: securing a patio gazebo? recommendations? [Re: Kremlar]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For a rental tent stakes are driven at each corner about 4 feet out, and straight down ........

The stakes are usually 3/4" rebar with a cap, and 3 to 4 feet long

Obviously, there's some liability to a rental 'blowing over' in the wind,
so it's a question of how much wind is factored in ..........
We had 40-45 MPH gusts today with T-storms, and would it have survived.......Dunno??

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#670532 - 06/09/11 06:17 PM Re: securing a patio gazebo? recommendations? [Re: Kremlar]
Able_Dog Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia

Edited by Able_Dog (06/09/11 10:23 PM)

#670533 - 06/10/11 04:54 AM Re: securing a patio gazebo? recommendations? [Re: Kremlar]
jigs Offline
veteran

Loc: New York
$500. every three years, or less, and you must take it down in the winter in Massachusetts. Buy a prefab wood or vinyl gazebo or have one built - after 10 years you'll break even and still have a nice gazebo.

#670534 - 06/12/11 09:20 AM Re: securing a patio gazebo? recommendations? [Re: jigs]
Kremlar Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Thanks. Since this would be on a patio I guess I would need to remove a brick or 2. How would you attach the gazebo to the anchors?

Something vinyl or wood is not in the picture right now, but perhaps down the road.

#670535 - 06/12/11 09:57 AM Re: securing a patio gazebo? recommendations? [Re: Kremlar]
Marq Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Romeo, MI
My next door neighbor has one similar to this. Despite it's solid look it's blown over twice this spring, three times if you count when the son ran into it with the tractor.

If I had this and it was on a paver patio, I'd take out a few blocks and post hole dig down 2-3' and fill with concrete and install 3/4" galvanised bolts 12-14" long with big washers at the heads. Reinstall the blocks with holes drilled, of maybe a corner/edge trimmed off. Should stand up to the elements.

#670536 - 06/12/11 10:46 AM Re: securing a patio gazebo? recommendations? [Re: Able_Dog]
Punky Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Springville, NY
Quote:

In one of my books it recommends the above anchors in concrete. The structure is then bolted thru the eye hooks in the cemented anchors.

#670537 - 06/12/11 11:34 AM Re: securing a patio gazebo? recommendations? [Re: Punky]
Able_Dog Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
There's no need to put them in concrete, that would be over-kill if you use one of adequate size.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.