Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (kickintile, 2 invisible), 63 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#664843 - 05/03/11 12:07 PM PEX repair...hole in plastic water line
ding-a-ling Offline
fanatic

Loc: Rapid City South Dakota
I need to repair a hole in a water line. I believe it is PEX. It is red and blue flexible plastic water lines. I just need to repair a small hole in one of them. I am not sure what would be the easiest...cheapest...and/or proper way to repair the hole. I thinking about just screwing on some sort of saddle patch, but then thought that since the hole is small, maybe I could just cut the pex and install a butt connector of some sort in place of where the hole was.

#664844 - 05/03/11 12:24 PM Re: PEX repair...hole in plastic water line [Re: ding-a-ling]
vid Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Mad City
If you have the proper tools and enough play in the line then it would be best to cut out the bad area. Use a PEX coupling to rejoin the line.

#664845 - 05/03/11 01:20 PM Re: PEX repair...hole in plastic water line [Re: vid]
wsommariva Offline
Handyman

Loc: Northern NJ
You can also use Gatorbites from Lowes or Sharkbites from Home Depot. A bit expensive, but no need to buy crimping tools. You probably will need a short piece of pex also.

#664846 - 05/03/11 05:17 PM Re: PEX repair...hole in plastic water line [Re: wsommariva]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Sharkbite. No need to get more PEX, in fact you'll need to cut a bit out of the existing run... Make your PEX cut as close to the hole as possible, then measure out how much additional PEX (if any) needs to be removed (my guess is about 1/2"), and cut that out on the other side of the hole. Just be sure to FULLY insert the PEX into the fitting - it's easy to not seat them.

#664847 - 05/03/11 05:37 PM Re: PEX repair...hole in plastic water line [Re: ding-a-ling]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
I used this a couple of months ago where a squirrel chewed through the pex. Brand name is "Flair-It"

#664848 - 05/03/11 05:52 PM Re: PEX repair...hole in plastic water line [Re: Able_Dog]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Yep - another good alternative.

#664849 - 05/03/11 05:58 PM Re: PEX repair...hole in plastic water line [Re: CabinConnection]
Able_Dog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
Quote:

Yep - another good alternative.

Might want to spend the extra bucks for the sharkbite.

Area I used it is not critical if it fails.

#664850 - 05/03/11 06:45 PM Re: PEX repair...hole in plastic water line [Re: Able_Dog]
wsommariva Offline
Handyman

Loc: Northern NJ
Put a mark on the pex where the sharkbite SHOULD go to. Then make sure it does.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.