Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (SkcupSmash, donnyd2, 2 invisible), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#662536 - 04/18/11 01:26 PM Replacing a Nibco Frost Proof faucet (circa 1968)
dtownfb Offline
fanatic

Loc: York, PA
I hope someone can help with my Nibco Frost Proof outdoor faucet. I believe it was installed in 1968 when the addition/renovation was done on the house. We purchased the house from my wife's mother (she grew up in the house). We've owned it for the past 6+ years.

The faucet has reportedly dripped for years. I tried to repair over the weekend (removed handle, bonnet and tried to remove stem to check washer) with no luck. I hooked up the hose to control the dripping with the intent of fixing before the fall. I have not been able to find the shut off valve or access to this faucet on the inside. Where the valve is, there is no basement and likely comes in under the bathroom floor and turns 90 degrees. I cannot access under this addition from the basement either. I have one location to check but I am shocked that there is no shut off valve for this faucet. I can shut off the water to the entire addition just not isolate that faucet.

My question is what are my options if I can't access the stem portion of this valve from the inside? In other words, how do i disassemble valve and replace it? Right now I do not know if it is screwed in or soldered. I also don't know the length of this valve or the exact configuration behind the wall.

Any thoughts on replacing or repairing is greatly appreciated.

#662537 - 04/18/11 05:12 PM Re: Replacing a Nibco Frost Proof faucet (circa 1968) [Re: dtownfb]
Bob_Fleming Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
For what it is worth:
We had extensive plumbing done in the basement (copper) and thereafter one frost-proof hose bib started leaking significantly. SIL took it apart from the outside and found a small scrap of copper in it. After that was removed, the problem went away.

#662538 - 04/18/11 07:41 PM Re: Replacing a Nibco Frost Proof faucet (circa 1968) [Re: dtownfb]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
First, I'd go to the hardware store and get a repair kit for the faucet....
Taking apart isn't difficult,
remove bonnet, remove packing, pull stem.......
(a decent 'yank' is sometimes necessary after unscrewing stem all the way......)

If that doesn't work it's gonna get nasty if you can't find/get to the inside connection.
The length could be 6-8-10 or 12", solder or threaded....

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#662539 - 04/18/11 07:52 PM Re: Replacing a Nibco Frost Proof faucet (circa 1968) [Re: BillJeffy]
RCovell Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Jayhawk Land
I'd like to clarify the above advice.
Once you unscrew the bonnet nut, you should be able to use the handle to UNSCREW the stem from the fixture. It's threaded in place.

I've found cases where you need to pull on it once you've unscrewed it, but, you must unscrew it first.

I would bet that you can remove the stem, replace the washer and possibly the screw, re-install things and be fine. Don't forget to grease up all threads when you put things back together.

Good luck. Bob.

#662540 - 04/19/11 01:51 PM Re: Replacing a Nibco Frost Proof faucet (circa 1968) [Re: RCovell]
dtownfb Offline
fanatic

Based on the responses, it seems like I need to work a bit harder at repairing the faucet.

When I try to unscrew the stem, I continue turning like I am opening the faucet, correct?

Thanks for the responses. I'm determined to get this fixed before the freezing weather returns.

#662541 - 04/19/11 02:10 PM Re: Replacing a Nibco Frost Proof faucet (circa 1968) [Re: dtownfb]
wsommariva Offline
veteran

Loc: Northern NJ
I had the same problem with mine - I think American Valve Co., maybe. Anyway, they sent me a free repair kit. Problem with a very small and flimsey rubber washer/gasket.

#662542 - 04/19/11 02:37 PM Re: Replacing a Nibco Frost Proof faucet (circa 1968) [Re: dtownfb]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Quote:

When I try to unscrew the stem, I continue turning like I am opening the faucet, correct?

----------
correct...remove knob....remove packing nut....
replace knob on stem - unscrew ALL the way....(packing should come out)....
"Yank" on stem....'viola'...stem comes out.....
"Assembly is reverse of removal"...........................(I love it when they say that!!!!)

Thanks for the responses. I'm determined to get this fixed before the freezing weather returns.

----------
That's approx 7 months - you should just make it....

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#662543 - 04/19/11 03:15 PM Re: Replacing a Nibco Frost Proof faucet (circa 1968) [Re: BillJeffy]
dtownfb Offline
fanatic

Thanks BillJeffy for the picture. I'll give it another try once the rain stops. At least my grass looks good.

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.