Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (hiigaran), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#661380 - 04/10/11 08:50 PM Troy Built Mower won't start
sunnyj Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Troy Built Mulching/Rear Bagger, 6.5 HP/190cc, model 11A-426A711 63902 mower won't start. The mower is probably around 6 years old - I don't remember just when I bought it. Stored over winter in the shed with gas conditioner in the fuel tank. Found the interior of the fuel line deteriorated and gooey. Replaced the fuel line. Still won’t start with fresh gas. Replaced the spark plug. The old plug looked pretty good, not fouled or burned. Still wouldn’t start. Squirted starter fluid in and it starts right up and dies as soon as the starter fluid is consumed. It has a Briggs & Stratton engine, 123K02-0336-E1 06172056. The grass is getting taller quick, and I don’t know what to try next to get this mower going, hoping you can help.

Thanks in Advance,

Linda

#661381 - 04/11/11 06:36 AM Re: Troy Built Mower won't start [Re: sunnyj]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Quote:

Squirted starter fluid in and it starts right up and dies as soon as the starter fluid is consumed.

Linda

Given that situation, it's obviously a - lack of - fuel supply situation....

It's possible some of the 'goo' from the old fuel lines has closed off some passage in the carburetor,
so two suggestions...

Replace fuel in tank with fuel / Seafoam mix......about 20% ish....
try starting with choke, and then let set overnight.....

Still no start = carburetor removal and cleaning...........

("Seafoam"...any auto parts store..)

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#661382 - 04/11/11 02:03 PM Re: Troy Built Mower won't start [Re: BillJeffy]
Bob_Q Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Albany area,New York
I sitting here frowning over that "goo". Fuel lines shouldn't do that.
If there's rubber(goo) inside the carb passages,I wonder how much good SeaFoam will do?
What percentage ethynol is being used in the gas in Ca.?

#661383 - 04/11/11 03:03 PM Re: Troy Built Mower won't start [Re: Bob_Q]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
Bob, I had a fuel line go "gooey" on my Mantis tiller a few years back, right after I used Sta-Bil for the first time.

“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our
enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?”
--Joseph Stalin

#661384 - 04/11/11 05:17 PM Re: Troy Built Mower won't start [Re: mommapup.]
Bob_Q Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Albany area,New York
Quote:

Bob, I had a fuel line go "gooey" on my Mantis tiller a few years back, right after I used Sta-Bil for the first time.

I've used it for years at work and never had a problem with it. I don't use it in all the machines,just the ones that aren't used that often.
I belong to a group of over 500 golf course mechs. We have our own forum and keep each other abreast of things. The reports on the effects of ethynol in fuel used in small engines are starting to trickle in. Nothing drastic as yet,but some carb problems are starting to show up.

#661385 - 04/11/11 06:10 PM Re: Troy Built Mower won't start [Re: BillJeffy]
sunnyj Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

Replace fuel in tank with fuel / Seafoam mix......about 20% ish....
try starting with choke, and then let set overnight.....

20% Seafoam, 80% gas, yes? First time using Seafoam, just want to be sure I got it right.

Quote:

Still no start = carburetor removal and cleaning...........

How would I go about removing and cleaning the carburetor? I checked the Brigg & Stratton site, but didn't find anything useful.

I'll get the Seafoam on the way home from work tonight.

Thanks,

Linda

#661386 - 04/11/11 06:19 PM Re: Troy Built Mower won't start [Re: Bob_Q]
sunnyj Offline
enthusiast

Quote:

What percentage ethynol is being used in the gas in Ca.?

I believe they can use 15% alcohol here in CA. They do have to disclose the mix. I use gas, not the mix. 87 octane regular unleaded - is that what I should be using?

The mower did have Sta-Bil put in after the last use last season. The goo inside the fuel line was the same color as the old fuel line (black), and fairly thick. The new fuel line is clear and has an inline filter.

Thanks,

Linda

#661387 - 04/11/11 06:37 PM Re: Troy Built Mower won't start [Re: sunnyj]
F4U-4 Corsair Offline
Oklahoma
fanatic

Like somebody else said it sounds like a carburetor issue. Here are some links with diagrams that should help you take the carburetor apart. Make sure that if you do go ahead and take it apart, take pictures of EVERYTHING, I learned that trick from a Lawnmower mechanic, he said that if you forgot how something went together you could just go back and look at the pictures. You will need a can or two of the aerosol Carburetor cleaner to clean all the little ports and holes in the carb, make sure that they are clean by pushing a small wire, (a twisty tie with the paper torn off one end will work,) through them. This one is an exploded view of the carburetor http://www.psep2.biz/pages/OemParts?aribrand=BRG#/Briggs/123K02-0336-E1/Carburetor and this one of the air cleaner which is in front of the carburetor and shares the carb's bolts http://www.psep2.biz/pages/OemParts?arib...Governor_Spring I hope this helps.

#661388 - 04/11/11 09:30 PM Re: Troy Built Mower won't start [Re: F4U-4 Corsair]
sunnyj Offline
enthusiast

Thanks very much for the links, they are spot on to what I have. I'm hoping for the Seafoam to come through, but I understand that I am probably looking at a carb cleaning/rebuild. Seafoam tonight though, fingers crossed.

Once upon a long time ago, it being a case of fix it myself or walk, I took on a Stromberg down draft carb rebuild for my car. As I took it apart, I laid it out in 'exploded' view and took those pictures. Glad I did. A VW carb or two followed, but this might the first mower carb. (Seafoam don't fail me now!!!) Wouldn't have thought of the twisty tie wire.

Have you dealt with that parts house - Pat's Small Engine Plus? Are they okay?

Thanks,

Linda

#661389 - 04/12/11 04:04 AM Re: Troy Built Mower won't start [Re: sunnyj]
F4U-4 Corsair Offline
Oklahoma
fanatic

I highly recommend Pat's Small Engine Plus, they usually have faster than normal shipping and when they miss something in your order, they ship it out right away not charge to you. If you do end up needing parts, I recommend the Carburetor rebuild kit, it's only $6.19.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Bob_Q, CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.