Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#659466 - 03/29/11 10:20 PM Adding a neutral bar to a main panel
mwnitz Offline

Loc: Albany, NY
I have ran out of spaces on my QO main panel for neutral wires. I need to install one more neutral wire. I know that you can't place more than one neutral wire under each screw on the neutral bar. If I place a neutral on the equipment grounding bar, is this ok? If not, what's the difference between an additional neutral bar and an additional grounding bar?

#659467 - 03/30/11 05:53 AM Re: Adding a neutral bar to a main panel [Re: mwnitz]
ront02769 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New England
in the panel which houses the main breaker the neutral and ground bars are 'the same thing' as they are bonded to each other AND to the box itself.
ront

Edited by ront02769 (03/30/11 05:58 AM)

#659468 - 03/30/11 06:36 AM Re: Adding a neutral bar to a main panel [Re: ront02769]
mwnitz Offline

Thanks for answering.

I read on another site that if I added an additional grounding bar, I can't land neutrals on it. The reason he gave was the metal of the can can become part of the circuit. He said equipment grounding conductors only on the added ground bar. Something doesn't add up here. Is it OK to add a large diameter 'jumper wire' between my new additional grounding bar and the original neutral bar so current would want to flow through the wire, say a 6 gauge wire?

I think I see the other guy's point. The panel box is bonded for 'insurance' but shouldn't carry current as part of a circuit? Or does none of this matter?

#659469 - 03/30/11 07:10 AM Re: Adding a neutral bar to a main panel [Re: mwnitz]
3phase Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Licensed Electrical Contractor...
In most panels both sides neutral bar is connected by a heavy bar so no real need for a jumper. The bond screw ties the bars to the can or metal pan. If you aded a neutral bar then you could add the jumper if it makes you feel better. My inspecter makes me take out the additional bar in the Square D Homeline panels (the seperate one on the side and below the main bar) for a reason similiar to what you were given.

#659470 - 03/31/11 06:48 AM Re: Adding a neutral bar to a main panel [Re: 3phase]
mwnitz Offline

Here's what I did in the end: I got an insulator kit for one of my equipment ground bars. It elevated the bar off the panel. I now have three 12 gauge common wires connected to this bar, and 3 equipment grounds. Then I ran a 6 gauge jumper wire from this bar to the main neutral bar. Now I feel better about this setup: the panel box is not current carrying. Thanks for the replies.

#659471 - 03/31/11 08:35 AM Re: Adding a neutral bar to a main panel [Re: mwnitz]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
The equipment grounds should not be on the insulated neutral bar. They should be on a bonded ground bar.

edit
Nevermind. This is the main panel. Grounds and neutrals can go together.

Edited by jdevlin (03/31/11 08:36 AM)

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.