Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (Punky, 2 invisible), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#656921 - 03/17/11 11:46 AM Cordless drill battery charger question
twoshoes Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: PA
I have a Black & Decker 12V battery charger for the batteries on this drill. Has not been used since last summer and has been in an unheated detached garage in NW PA for the entire winter. Need to use the drill and wanted to charge the batteries. The charger has a little red light on it bur when a battery is inserted and the charger is plugged in the bulb does not light. Can't remember if the light comes on initially during the charge or when the battery is charged. I don't have a volt meter with me so is there anyway to tell if it is charging the battery. I guess it is possible the bulb never worked recently. Wondering if the coldness of the charger and batteries may be causing the problem. The receptacle works fine for anything else plugged into it.

Thanks,

Edited by twoshoes (03/17/11 11:56 AM)

#656922 - 03/17/11 12:13 PM Re: Cordless drill battery charger question [Re: twoshoes]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Usually there will be a label indicating what the light means (it will probably say it in the manual). Blinking may mean charging, solid is charged. Is it warmed up now? Maybe it doesn't charge under cold temperatures.
How old are the batteries and charger?

#656923 - 03/17/11 12:18 PM Re: Cordless drill battery charger question [Re: twoshoes]
JasonB Online   content
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
Is the charger plugged in via a wall-wart type transformer, or a normal lamp plug?

The bulk of chargers that use the wall-wart are simple trickle chargers. The ones I've been into all had failed wall-warts, not a failure in the charger base.

The ones that plug in with a "lamp cord", or a very heavy-duty style wallwart may be "smart chargers". These generally have more than one light (mine has Charge, Ready and Defective Battery). These are typically called "fast chargers" and will float the battery in an hour or so.

Single red light out = probably dead charger, IMHO.

Put the battery as-is in the drill, pull trigger. Note response. Charge 10 minutes, repeat test. If the test result is better, the charger works.

J

#656924 - 03/17/11 12:31 PM Re: Cordless drill battery charger question [Re: MCA]
twoshoes Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No label on the charger and unfortunately no manual also. Also no model number on it to see if I could find one online. The drill and batteries are probably 8 - 10 yrs old but not used very much. One battery is complete dead but one still has a little charge in it as it will still somewhat turn the drill. Both the charger and batteries have been brought into the house. I have the dead one in now and will see in a while if it got any charge to it. Usually when I charge a battery I would leave it on overnight so don't know how long it takes to charge. However I would expect after a few hours I should see some life to the battery if it is indeed working.

#656925 - 03/17/11 12:44 PM Re: Cordless drill battery charger question [Re: twoshoes]
Gizmologist09 Offline
Handyman

Loc: Palmdale, California USA
Sometimes the battery voltage is below the threshold of the charger to detect. A battery that is eight years old that has not been kept charged is quite likely toast.

#656926 - 03/17/11 02:54 PM Re: Cordless drill battery charger question [Re: Gizmologist09]
twoshoes Offline
Carpal Tunnel

While looking online to see if I could find a manual for the charger, I stumbled across a site (fixya.com) where there was a discussion about this charger. Apparently, according to the discussion, the charger is internally fused and a bad battery will blow the fuse. Not sure why and it was not said why there also. Usually when I charge a battery I leave it in the unplugged charger. Is this something I should not do? The wife said we have a second one of these chargers at home so I will take all with me and see if it will charge them. If not, a new inexpensive replacement drill may be better off than the cost of a new battery.

#656927 - 03/23/11 04:06 PM Re: Cordless drill battery charger question [Re: twoshoes]
twoshoes Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Update: Brought the drill and batteries back home. Found the extra charger and put in the 1/2 discharged battery and plugged the unit in. The light on the charger came on so I left the battery in for a few hours. When removed it seemed to be complete charged in the drill. I then put the completely dead battery into the unit. Again the light came on so I figured it was trying to charge that battery. About an hour later I noticed that the light was now off on the charger. Took the battery out and tried it on the drill and no response, still completely dead. Put the charged battery back into the unit and now no light. Called Black & Decker and talked to their support people. Explained everything and was told that a battery with a dead cell will ruin the charger. Well in my case 2 chargers. Told them that there were no warnings on the charger that this would happen so they are going to send me a free replacement charger to go along with the one battery I have left. So to sum this up, when the charger is working and a battery is inserted the light will always be on. If not, the charger has been ruined for some reason.

#656928 - 03/23/11 04:50 PM Re: Cordless drill battery charger question [Re: twoshoes]
BillJeffy Offline
Don't Know Squat
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Simply speaking, a bad/dead/shorted battery draws more current than the charger is
designed to supply......

Hence, overheating of the charger.....

The wire windings break down quickly when hot, - short out - PsssssssT - gone.

err....I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a LOOK ! !

#656929 - 03/23/11 05:33 PM Re: Cordless drill battery charger question [Re: BillJeffy]
twoshoes Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Your explanation makes perfect sense, but couldn't a replaceable fuse protect against such damage? Hard to tell if a battery is bad just by looking at it before putting it into a charger and ruining it. This is what I said to B&D and apparently they must have agreed as they are replacing the charger. And I really appreciate that from B&D as this charger is well out of warranty. I just wanted to let others who may have this charger know of a potential problem.

#656930 - 03/23/11 06:10 PM Re: Cordless drill battery charger question [Re: twoshoes]
code_ceis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Seneca Nation
I think that was all explained in the original owners manual. I assume this is a 12 volt spring firestorm. I have 6 plus a flash light. I bought an all battery charger from B and D solved the over charge problem. Also have a 18 volt trimmer, pole saw,and drill.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%28ryfcnse5cjccs345prjz5wbg%29/Email.aspx?SKU=2115699

http://www.blackanddecker.com/attachments/FSMVC.aspx

Unfortunately I drive by the B and D outlet about once a week in the outlet mall.

It is close to the bathroom so both are convenient for a quick stop.

RIP RS

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.