Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (JMac, Able_Dog, 2 invisible), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#647982 - 01/27/11 08:52 PM Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well
phrankndonna Offline

Loc: S.W. Michigan
Good evening,

I've got a Whirlpool dishwasher (model# DU909PWKT0, purchased approximately 2005) that is NOT cleaning my dishes well at all. I've cleaned out the dishwasher as well as I can, including all of the crud that was in the spray arms. I also ran Dishwasher Magic through it about 4 times, and went through the machine to make sure everything was cleared out near the drain. I also ensured the rinse agent was full. After all of that, the machine is still leaving a LOT of sediment and crud on the dishes, especially the glasses. Can anyone give me an idea of why this may be happening? My wife wants to get a new machine, but I can hear water spraying, and if I open the door, I can see both arms are spinning. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Frank

#647983 - 01/27/11 08:57 PM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well [Re: phrankndonna]
captain150 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Canada
Two main things.

1. The water isn't hot enough. The water entering the dishwasher should be at least 130 degrees F, but closer to 140F is better.
Check the water heater setting and turn it up if necessary. Also if the kitchen sink and DW are far away from the water heater, be sure to run the hot water at the kitchen sink until it is hot before you run the DW.

2. The water level is too low. After starting the cycle and waiting for it to start washing, open the door and look at the bottom. The water should be just under or just touching the heating element.

#647984 - 01/28/11 04:57 AM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well [Re: captain150]
mommapup. Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SW Michigan
There's been changes... The Greenies have attacked your dishsoap.

Cleaner for the Environment, Not for the Dishes

Quote:

“My dishes were dirtier than before they were washed,” one wrote last week in the review section of the Web site for the Cascade line of dishwasher detergents. “It was horrible, and I won’t buy it again.”

“This is the worst product ever made for use as a dishwashing detergent!” another consumer wrote.

Like every other major detergent for automatic dishwashers, Procter & Gamble’s Cascade line recently underwent a makeover. Responding to laws that went into effect in 17 states in July, the nation’s detergent makers reformulated their products to reduce what had been the crucial ingredient, phosphates, to just a trace.

I won't blame it on Cascade, it's every manufacturer.

We switched to Cascade in the little pillows, and it's working very well, after a lot of grief.

“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our
enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?”
--Joseph Stalin

#647985 - 01/28/11 07:00 AM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well [Re: mommapup.]
captain150 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Canada
I wouldn't be so quick to blame it on that.

It might be the case that phosphate-free detergents rely more on high water temperatures to clean. Or to put it another way, detergents with phosphates will tolerate cool water temperatures better.

In any case, it's important for a dishwasher to have hot water coming into it.

#647986 - 01/28/11 07:15 AM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well [Re: phrankndonna]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Some washing tips and hints...
http://www.applianceaid.com/drain_wash.html
...and...
page 15.

jeff.

#647987 - 01/28/11 07:42 AM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well [Re: captain150]
Clint_Robbins Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
Quote:

The water entering the dishwasher should be at least 130 degrees F, but closer to 140F is better. Check the water heater setting and turn it up if necessary.

First, check your dishwasher Owner's Manual to see if it has a built-in heater to raise the recommended water heater temperature of 120 degrees to the desired dishwasher temperature of 140 degrees.

#647988 - 01/28/11 09:52 AM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well [Re: Clint_Robbins]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

First, check your dishwasher Owner's Manual

Page 15 linked above.

jeff.

#647989 - 01/28/11 04:54 PM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well [Re: jeff1]
phrankndonna Offline

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll be running the dishwasher here in a little while and will report back as to what I find out (temp and water level...I already do know that it's spraying ok).

Frank

#647990 - 01/28/11 08:16 PM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well [Re: phrankndonna]
phrankndonna Offline

Ok, so I just ran the dishwasher and I stopped it while it shortly after it started washing. First of all, the water level seemed low to me (about an 1" below the heater coil). Also, the water itself seemed very luke warm. Our kitchen is pretty much above the hot water heater, and we have very good hot water coming out of the kitchen sink very quickly, so I don't understand why it wouldn't be hot going into the dishwasher. I'm wondering if there are multiple issues going on here (i.e., heater coil and something with the water level). My wife simply wants me to replace it, but I hate doing that as the machine is only about 5 years old - the dang things should last longer than that! Any thoughts? Thanks!

Frank

#647991 - 01/29/11 06:36 AM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher not cleaning well [Re: phrankndonna]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I stopped it while it shortly after it started washing

First fill has to warm up the dishes, liner, racks....by the second or third fill the water temp is as good as it will get...don't forget to run the hot water tap before starting the d/w. Try a water heating cycle as a test.

Quote:

water level seemed low to me (about an 1" below the heater coil).

A little low, check the fill valve entrance screen for any debris or such.

Quote:

machine is only about 5 years old - the dang things should last longer than that!

5-8 years is about it any more.

jeff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.