Handyman Wire

Who's Online
5 registered (DonkeyDave, kickintile, yardmaster, Sparqee, 1 invisible), 66 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#646558 - 01/20/11 01:27 PM wiring a floor lamp with 2 switches and 4 lights
goodnatured267 Offline
first timer

I have an old floor lamp with two switches, one with three wires and one with two wires. The three wire rotary switch runs three lights and the two wire rotary switch operates the center light. Which has a 100 200 and 300 watt lamp.
The problem is if you rotate either switch eventually u can control all the lights with either switch turning them all on or off. It seems to me the switches should control only one set of lights, but I don't know, thats why I'm here. Plus when they are all on the lights are dim. Can you help me wire it right?
Thanks for any help

#646559 - 01/21/11 11:02 AM Re: wiring a floor lamp with 2 switches and 4 lights [Re: goodnatured267]
MCA Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Illinois
Quote:

Plus when they are all on the lights are dim

The lights were somehow wired in series for the lights to dim.
The neutral goes to the screw portion of the sockets (the wider prong on the plug connects to the wire with ridges on the flat lamp cord, this wire goes to the socket silver terminal or white wire. This wire does not get connected to any switches. The incoming hot wire goes to the incoming terminal of each switch (it may be marked "line"). For a single pole switch the terminal doesn't matter.
Quote:

two wire rotary switch operates the center light. Which has a 100 200 and 300 watt lamp.

The 2 wire switch can operate one light (or multiple lights at the same time). Were these supposed to be independant switches to operate each seperatly?
Quote:

The three wire rotary switch runs three lights

3 lights to operate seperatly or together so it can be one on, 2 on, or all 3 on?
Maybe the 2 wire switch was supposed to operate the 3 lights (where all must be on together) and the 3 wire was for a 3 way socket?

#646560 - 01/21/11 12:11 PM Re: wiring a floor lamp with 2 switches and 4 lights [Re: MCA]
jdevlin Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Welland Ont. Canada
Two wire switch will not operate the tri pight properly.

Take the neutral and conenct it to the center pin in ALL the sockets.
Connect the hot to the single switch and the common wire on the tri switch.
Connect the single switch second lead to all the shell connections on the single lights.

Connect one each of the remaining two wires on the tri switch to each of the two remaining connections on the tri light.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie, SpeedyPetey 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.