Handyman Wire

Who's Online
3 registered (captain150, 2 invisible), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
New Reply
Topic Options
#638124 - 12/05/10 01:17 PM Genie Door Opener Model GX9000
magoo304 Offline

Loc: South East TN
I searched the post and found one close to my problem but not quite. So here goes.
I have a Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 Screw Drive. Probably around 1994.
OK the problem. It will open a short distance then stop, If I press the button again it goes the other way. It sounds like the motor is really strained, like it is running at half speed. I released the door from the screw (which opens really easy by hand) and the opener still acts the same way. I have kept the screw greased and the door rollers lubed. So is the motor shot??? If it is I was looking at this one.
Genie Powerlift Plus 1/2 HP Screw Drive Garage Door Opener. $177.00 online $208.00 delivered to the door. Or does someone recommend a different one?

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#638125 - 12/05/10 03:25 PM Re: Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 [Re: magoo304]
Bob_Fleming Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ft Collins, CO USA
I have forgotten the Genie model numbers but used to install them some years ago. Never had one with the symptoms you describe except for one that had been installed incorrectly on a flat slab door and had a bent motor shaft. Is your door a sectional? And you say the door works fine manually?

Is it possible there is something jammed in the motor shaft or the screw? As I recall, the screw is a direct drive from the motor, through a coupling.

I favor the Genie screw drive models. IMHO there is none better and they usually last MUCH longer than yours. So if you have to get a new one, that is the brand I would get.

#638126 - 12/05/10 04:07 PM Re: Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 [Re: Bob_Fleming]
magoo304 Offline

I can turn the motor from the back where the tension adjust is and it turns the motor and screw easy.
Yes the door is a sectional and I can raise it manually very easy, plus I released the door so that takes it out of the equation.
I thought of pulling the screw from the motor and seeing how the motor runs then, but that I didn't want to get into all that if someone knew what was wrong.
The motor acts like it is a 220V that dropped a leg. I don't have the money for a new one if I can fix this one, but I guess $200 isn't too awful bad if I have to replace it.

#638127 - 12/05/10 04:35 PM Re: Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 [Re: magoo304]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
Door stops going up(or down) force adjustment too light. When you reverse after a fault, it goes at slower speed to find "home" position. Not uncommon for force adjustments to change with seasons, especially if set very close to fault limits.

#638128 - 12/05/10 05:14 PM Re: Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 [Re: Just_Bill]
magoo304 Offline

So BOB Fleming your saying that 16 years is not that old for a Genie screw drive?? WOW

Just_Bill what do I do to fix this situation??? I tried to run it with the door released. I had it go up and down to the stops nothing changes,

#638129 - 12/09/10 08:20 PM Re: Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 [Re: magoo304]
jklip Offline
first timer

I have a gx9000 in my new house and it is not hooked up. I was wondering if anyone knew the wiring diagram as I do not have the manual for it.

#638130 - 12/10/10 05:08 AM Re: Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 [Re: magoo304]
Just_Bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Wilmington, Delaware
There are adjustments on the drive unit for up/down force. They are either on the back, or behind the plastic cover over the lights. Increase the force adjustment slightly, then retest.

#638131 - 12/10/10 06:24 PM Re: Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 [Re: jklip]
magoo304 Offline

mine actually has a cord that plugs into an outlet in the ceiling, The tension adjustment is on the back. it sticks out the back of the red cover.

#638132 - 12/12/10 01:28 PM Re: Genie Door Opener Model GX9000 [Re: magoo304]
Holmesuser01 Offline
veteran

Loc: Asheville, NC USA
One other question about your opener:

When the door starts to open, then stops... does the motor hum?

If yes, look for a motor starting capacitor inside the unit. Should look like a round (or oval) can with a few wires connected to it. They do go bad. An appliance parts store would have a replacement for you for few dollars.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.