Handyman Wire

Who's Online
2 registered (twoshoes, 1 invisible), 155 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#618494 - 08/03/10 11:29 PM Pressure Washer hunting and surging
Foreverwood Offline

Loc: Florida,USA
I'm helping a friend to trouble shoot his pressure washer. He's only used it 2 or 3 times. It's about 3-4 years old. A Karcher with a Honda engine 2600 psi Gcv 160 5.5 HP. He left gas in it and now when he goes to use it, it won't idle well. It hunts and surges. He cleaned the carb out put it back together, same results. I took it apart again soaked the carb in carb cleaner, put it back together and same results. Sometimes it acts normal under pressure, but once the trigger is released, back to constant surging. It's acting as if the governor needs adjusting. Sometimes it will shut down under load. It starts pretty easily and runs ok when choked, but once the throttle is opened, it's baccccccccckk. Both the water pressure and throttle is hunting and surging. The carb now has been cleaned about 5 times,it looks brand new. The gaskets have been remade. This washer has the most gaskets I have ever seen on any machine in my life. There are about six for the carb alone. I've never seen this before. It's also not the easiest to put back together. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks!

#618495 - 08/04/10 07:54 AM Re: Pressure Washer hunting and surging [Re: Foreverwood]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
The idle (pilot/lo) circuit in the carb is gummed up. What happens is when the engine achieves the desired rpm's, the governor closes the throttle. At small partial throttle, the engine must run on the idle/transition jets. Since they're obstructed by varnish, it starves for fuel. Rpm's drop, the throttle opens, the engine now draws from the less obstructed main jet, rpm's recover, throttle closes, repeat ad nauseum.

2 choices. Remove the "main jet" from the carb and clean it again (special attention to drillings along the side of the jet), and poke out the idle circuit while you're in there..... Or:

Add "Sea Foam" to the tank at double the recommended ratio on the bottle. The stuff is good at removing varnish, and in a little while the washer should be happy again.

Instruct your friend in the joys of fuel stabilizer and proper storage. His equipment will thank him.

J

#618496 - 08/04/10 01:46 PM Re: Pressure Washer hunting and surging [Re: JasonB]
Foreverwood Offline

Thank you Jason B. I actually wanted to hear from you since your advice has both opened my eyes and narrow downed problems. For some reason when I tried to fully remove his main jet it loosen a lot but didn't come fully out. Since it wasn't mine and he wasn't present at the time I didn't want to tug on it. You think varnish may have held it in place. I loosened like I said quite a bit, to the point that I thought it would fall out but only went so far. The port in the side of the main jet was lined up with the hole in the side of the tube. When I shoot carb cleaner inside in does come from the side port as well as in the throat out the carb. I'm still not sure whether or not the main jet is partially clogged. I'll do what you said today.Thanks again

#618497 - 08/04/10 02:20 PM Re: Pressure Washer hunting and surging [Re: Foreverwood]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Can't offer you any insight in Honda carb disassembly, haven't had hands on one yet... But generally, if the engine will run, albeit poorly, Seafoam can clean out the varnish.

Make sure the fuel is fresh before starting. Old fuel will surge too.

J

#618498 - 08/04/10 05:41 PM Re: Pressure Washer hunting and surging [Re: JasonB]
Foreverwood Offline

Hey Jason, Thanks a million! I found the ports on the idle circuit and managed to push some fine wire through them. This time I was able to remove the main jet although it still wasn't easy, but some very small needle nose pliers helped. I soaked the carb for an hour this time with my friend's permission. I also decided to make all new gaskets and definitely included the breather holes in the gasket for lack of a better word. Well It started right up as usual. I let it warm up in the choke position for 2 minutes. This time when I opened the throttle all the way it didn't immediately start surging. I'm aware the the engine does surge every now and then of course depending on water pressure etc. I used the high pressure nozzle and it ran well with no problems. When I released the nozzle it started surging a little, but not nearly like before, and then stopped all together. I let it run for 15 more minutes then heard the washer start to surge more rapid, I thought no!, but It wasn't a problem. It was running out of gas. Once I filled the tank again, it purred like a cat. Sucess! Jason I thank you, my friend thanks you. By the way I loved the way you explained why it was surging. I read something from a Honda tech who said to remove the jets as you did, clean them and if it does the same change the carb. I guess because these carbs were around 20 dollars. Thanks again. Thank you lord.

#618499 - 08/05/10 03:11 PM Re: Pressure Washer hunting and surging [Re: Foreverwood]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Yer welcome

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback.| Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright ©1999-2016, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.