Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (twoshoes, DonkeyDave, Able_Dog, 1 invisible), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#616642 - 07/23/10 08:36 AM what is standard width of gas or electric stoves?
howardgillis Offline
Super Handyman

Loc: Fort Mill, S.C.
I'm looking to buy a small house. They had electric to the stove, and all that is there now, is the junction box and a flat metal cover plate. I have not been able to look inside to see if that is the wiring for 220 to an electric stove but I assume it is. The previous tenants used a gas stove, so the gas line is there too.
I can not enter the house to measure the width of the space in the counter, without my agent being there.

What is the standard width of gas and electric stoves?

I saw one on Craigslist width of 30 inches.
I've got my choice of gas or electric it seems.

Any opinions about gas versus electric as far as yearly costs?

Edited by howardgillis (07/23/10 08:50 AM)

#616643 - 07/23/10 09:25 AM Re: what is standard width of gas or electric stoves? [Re: howardgillis]
Clint_Robbins Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Akron, OH
The most common size of stove will fit into a 30" space. Gas is generally much cheaper than electric for heat producing appliances - an exception might be where electric power is highly subsidized by the taxpayers.

#616644 - 07/23/10 11:22 AM Re: what is standard width of gas or electric stoves? [Re: howardgillis]
Able_Dog Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: N Georgia
Quote:

I have not been able to look inside to see if that is the wiring for 220 to an electric stove but I assume it is.

Better check for 240V. It may only be 120V for the gas stove.

#616645 - 07/23/10 11:46 AM Re: what is standard width of gas or electric stoves? [Re: Able_Dog]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Quote:

Quote:

I have not been able to look inside to see if that is the wiring for 220 to an electric stove but I assume it is.

Better check for 240V. It may only be 120V for the gas stove.

And while doing that, check the breakers to see if a 220 says "Stove" or "Oven" on it.

#616646 - 07/23/10 03:12 PM Re: what is standard width of gas or electric stoves? [Re: CabinConnection]
howardgillis Offline
Super Handyman

I went and put a deposit down on the stove and measured it, and it is 30 inches. I have no way to quickly measure the hole in the counter, but I must believe it is 31 inches.
It looks like they had electric stove and water heater and converted to gas. So, there is a 3 prong outlet near the gas water heater (looks like the outlet for a window a/c but the house has central air).
And an electrical box near the gas line for the stove.
I was wanting to go back to electric, so I bought an electric stove and like new, Hotpoint, steal, so I can easily sell it, if gas stove is my only option.
Starting a new thread on types of stove plugs to assist the owner of this electric stove.

#616647 - 07/27/10 01:09 AM Re: what is standard width of gas or electric stoves? [Re: howardgillis]
lambert11 Offline
first timer

Loc: USA
Hi
Actually i dont have an idea about standard gas stove widths..But i looked on the GE website and saw that although their electric stoves might be advertised as 30", the specs say 29 7/8". All the gas stoves on the website say 30" in the specs.

----------
Solar hot water

#616648 - 07/27/10 06:44 AM Re: what is standard width of gas or electric stoves? [Re: lambert11]
howardgillis Offline
Super Handyman

The stove I bought is a Hotpoint and it is 30 inches and the space in the counter is just over 30 inches....maybe 30 1/4 at most.
When the home inspector is there later in the week, I can find out what wiring in behind that cover plate.
I assume 3 conductor for 220 volts. The size of the cable entering the side of the junction box indicates large cables. I think someone mentioned stove wiring would be 3 conductor #6.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.