Handyman Wire

Who's Online
1 registered (jimdad1), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Topic Options
#6158 - 09/13/02 07:44 PM Whirlpool dishwasher dial won't move
Anonymous
Unregistered

The dial on our Whirlpool dishwasher won't move. The green light indicating that the door is closed comes on, but the dial will not move from the off position. Any ideas on what's causing this and how we can fix it?
Thanks,
sandship

#6159 - 09/13/02 08:56 PM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher dial won't move
Anonymous
Unregistered

If your dishwasher does everything that you manually set it to do such as on fill it fills or on drain it drains but it just does not advance, you are looking at replacing your timer. If this is a touch type of a control and not a manual timer dial, you can give this a try because it has worked for me.

Cut the power to the dishwasher and remove the control panel so that you can get to the microprocessor. With a dry tooth brush, clean the connector where it plugs into the microprocessor and also the board. What happens is this. The steam from the dishwasher along with the detergent and food greases, stick on to the processor and when it is damp, it makes its own circuts and stalls..its confused, so it won't advance.

#6160 - 09/14/02 07:13 AM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher dial won't move
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply but this is a manual timer and not a touch control. I assume that if I could move the dial into a wash setting that it would do all the stuff it normally does. It won't budge from "off" though.

#6161 - 09/14/02 10:10 PM Re: Whirlpool dishwasher dial won't move
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "it won't budge from off" you have to manually advance it from off it you want it to do anything! Put it on regular wash and watch it start up. If it doesn't then it is the timer motor, one of the timer gears or a bad connection.
My maytag dishwasher is like that, I can't just flip the lever and watch it turn on, I have to put it on one of the wash settings THEN flip the lever.

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.