Handyman Wire

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#608994 - 05/31/10 08:07 PM maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems.
iamtmo Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Recently my maytag neptune mah4000aww has started stopping mid rinse or spin. It fills, washes and may go through rinse and kick off ot stop during rinse. I have checked the control board which seems fine and the door locked light comes on during the wash cycle like normal. I cleaned the drain line and fill screens just for maintenance which were bot dirty but not clogged. When the washer starts to rinse or spin it make a noise like it is slamming the sides of the washer housing with a growling type sound as well. Not a loud growling but like a growling/grinding sound. It will do this while it sounds like it's starting to spin then stops and eventually kicks off. I can hit the start button again and it will finish draining water then start to spin again and may or may not go on to spin cycle. It will almost always stop when it gets to the spin cycle. Sometimes there may still be water in the tub sometimes it will be empty but not spun out. Any help to get started would be greatly appreciated.

#608995 - 05/31/10 09:44 PM Re: maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems. [Re: iamtmo]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ont Canada
Hi,

Quote:

When the washer starts to rinse or spin it make a noise like it is slamming the sides of the washer housing with a growling type sound as well. Not a loud growling but like a growling/grinding sound.

Double check the drain pump assembly and/or motor control board....both can make strange noises ( board makes the motor growl ) and cause quiting...
http://www.applianceaid.com/neptune.html

jeff.

#608996 - 06/01/10 05:18 PM Re: maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems. [Re: jeff1]
iamtmo Offline

Thanks jeff, Today I wanted to troubleshoot so I took the back panel off and started it where it failed on rinse yesterday. The washer filled, tumbled, drained and spun perfectly. EXCEPT....on the last high speed spin I heard the growling noise. It's not a growl but more like a worn out brake pad on a car. Looking at the machine from the back it sounds like it's coming from near the upper right side or middle right side. I noticed when it was making this noise it looked like the large pully slowed a bit then started back. Is there a braking system of sorts? What would cause sporadic issues like this and that noise. Mostly not working.

Edited by iamtmo (06/01/10 05:26 PM)

#608997 - 06/01/10 09:08 PM Re: maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems. [Re: iamtmo]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I noticed when it was making this noise it looked like the large pully slowed a bit then started back. Is there a braking system of sorts?

No brake...kinda -sounds- like the tub bearings may be grabing causing the slow down and noise

jeff.

#608998 - 06/01/10 09:35 PM Re: maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems. [Re: jeff1]
iamtmo Offline

Would the tub still spin smooth by hand if the bearings were bad? I thought of something I can try. Tomorrow I can shoot a high quality Video w/sound and put it on my Youtube account and place a link here so maybe you can see what I am seeing and hearing. Would you have time to look at that for me? Would it be helpful?

#608999 - 06/02/10 05:46 AM Re: maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems. [Re: iamtmo]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Would the tub still spin smooth by hand if the bearings were bad?

Bad no....going/starting yes.

Quote:

Tomorrow I can shoot a high quality Video w/sound and put it on my Youtube account and place a link here so maybe you can see what I am seeing and hearing. Would you have time to look at that for me? Would it be helpful?

Sure, worth a peek.

jeff.

#609000 - 06/02/10 09:10 PM Re: maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems. [Re: jeff1]
iamtmo Offline

Here's is the video posted on Youtube. I have placed comments on the various explaining what's going on. I really appreciate you help on this issue....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZy5ezlkrs

#609001 - 06/03/10 06:41 AM Re: maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems. [Re: iamtmo]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I will view tonight.

jeff.

#609002 - 06/03/10 08:18 PM Re: maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems. [Re: jeff1]
jeff1 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

During the end of the video the washer was trying to turn but couldn't....try manually to make sure the tub will turn at thta point, if it will the motor/motor control baord is then suspect for sure. If you loose one of the 3 phases for the motor we get a growl noise and intermittant quiting.

Motor/control conversion kit, Neptune washer
Online manual

jeff.

#609003 - 06/03/10 09:03 PM Re: maytag neptune mah4000aww spin/rinse problems. [Re: jeff1]
iamtmo Offline

I thought I left that in the video I was able to turn at then end when it wouldn't. What replacement parts would you recommend?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.