Handyman Wire

Who's Online
4 registered (rfm3, twoshoes, 2 invisible), 66 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Welcome Newcomers
Unregistered users may only post in the handyman forum. If you register, you may post in any forum and use of CAPTCHA code is not required.
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#604841 - 05/04/10 09:00 AM 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running...
rqualls Offline

Loc: one step behind
I have a BS 5hp model 135202 tiller and it runs fine with complete choke, but when backing off the choke it will die... I have taken complete carb apart and cleaned it thoroughly and installed new diaphram, dumped out old gas, and filled with new, and still will not run when choke is opened up. Any idea's.. I am clueless now. Thanks !!!

#604842 - 05/04/10 10:58 AM Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running... [Re: rqualls]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Cape Spencer, New Brunswick, C...
You're describing the classic symptoms of a fuel restriction... For whatever reason, the engine is starving for fuel.

Being the season it is, I'll guess that it's just coming out of storage. Likely with some old gas in it....

Does your carburetor have a mixture screw on it? Look for a slotted screw head with a coil spring under it going into the side of the carb horizontally. This screw (hopefully present) controls the ratio of fuel to air that the engine breaths.

Generally, this screw is set at about 1.25 turn out from gently seated as a starting point.... So lets start there. The engine should now start and run off-choke.... If it doesn't, further carb cleaning is in order.

If it is now running, it's probably doing so roughly. Advance the speed control for full speed. Now, slowly turn the mixture screw counterclockwise (out), and the engine should run even more roughly. This confirms that it's getting a rich mixture (too much fuel), and this is good. Note the position of the screw.

Now, slowly turn the screw clockwise. The engine note should clean up, and sound healthy. Continuing on, the engine will begin to sound breathy and begin to stumble, this time it's lean. Any further and it'll quit. Note the position of the screw.

Now set the screw slightly to the rich side of halfway between the rich and lean points. Should be real nice and smooth here.

Go till.

If the engine shows signs of quitting under load (reasonable load!), richen the mixture slightly. If it blows black smoke under load, lean it slightly.

Happy tilling.

Post back if there's no adjustment or if adjustments don't have the desired effect...

J

#604843 - 05/04/10 12:32 PM Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running... [Re: JasonB]
rqualls Offline

Thanks, but unfortunately there is no mixture adjustment screw(that I can find)... I have had the carb off, soaked it, sprayed it, and could drink out of it (nice and shiny clean)... I did dump the old gas out of the tank, but really didn't clean the tank though... It does seem though, that when it opens up and start sucking air, it doesn't like it... thanks for the help... could it be in the engine? (compression etc...)

#604844 - 05/04/10 12:52 PM Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running... [Re: rqualls]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

If it ran when it was put away, but doesn't now, then the ONLY likely cause is carburetion. Likely, you missed something when cleaning the carb. I know you hate to hear this, as getting the bugger off is a bit of a PITA.

Here's an idea.... This has worked well for several posters who had small engines that would run, but only on choke: Try SeaFoam in the tank before giving another kick at the screwdrivers...

Get the Seafoam stuff, and add it to the fuel in the tank at maybe double the ratio stated on the can. Start the engine, and feather the choke so as to keep her running. Soon, you should start to see an improvement in the engine's behavior (and probably TONS of smoke too, don't worry, this is expected).

See, gasoline oxidizes as it gets older, and forms a varnish on fuel system components. Seafoam seems to be able to dissolve this stuff quite quickly. Varnish can be hard to see on some of the small orifices within the carb, and this causes many a "cleaned" carb to not function.

Failing that, it's tear'er down again, and clean even more carefully. I like to use white vinegar as a carb cleaner, it's a bit slower than actual carb cleaners, but it's less harsh on ME. Spray cleaners do a fine job too, along with toothpicks/soft tag wire to poke out the passages....

J

#604845 - 05/04/10 01:11 PM Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running... [Re: JasonB]
rqualls Offline

Thanks again... will give another shot at it tonight and post back here tomorrow. I am thinking my carb# is 498298 Pulsa-jet Fixed-jet,,, if that's helps. Not much to it.. no adjustments needles etc.. but something is making it mad... Thanks so much for your help !!

#604846 - 05/04/10 01:20 PM Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running... [Re: rqualls]
CabinConnection Offline
Bigfoot
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: The Indianhead's Left Nostril....
Get a can of carb cleaner, and when you have it off, spray directly into EVERY little orifice/opening you can find. Some of these are hard to find... Also, while I have no idea on the specifics of YOUR carb, there is often a tiny jet that screws into the passage coming directly up from the bowl. You may have to unscrew this in order to properly clean it. BE CAREFUL however whenever removing a screw/bar/plug/etc... Sometimes there are springs hidden, and if you're not familiar with how it goes back together, you may be SOL.

I always start with a clean big tabletop, and keep the parts organized so that I know exactly how it goes back together again. For example, I may orient the base towards me, and the bowl to the right when disassembling, and assembling. Then when I remove a part, it gets placed on the table in just the right position so it's obvious when I want to install it.

Good luck.

#604847 - 05/04/10 01:21 PM Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running... [Re: rqualls]
JasonB Offline
Sharp -Shooter
Carpal Tunnel

Check out this site

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_pulsa-jet_horiz_fixed.asp

Might have the tips you're looking for!

Pay special attention to the fixed jet itself, as seen in that link. That's where your blockage likely is.

J

#604848 - 05/04/10 01:23 PM Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running... [Re: CabinConnection]
rqualls Offline

Thanks !! Keep you posted..

#604849 - 05/05/10 07:03 PM Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running... [Re: rqualls]
rqualls Offline

Hope to not sound like an idiot.. but took the carb completely apart again and cleaned etc... also noticed that it does in fact have an adjustment screw, but it was missing... then I remembered early that day my little girl had found a spring in the back of my truck.. luckily, she left it in there along with the screw. Don't ask me how that happened... so I cleaned out the tank, put the carb back on, set the adj to 1 1/2 turns, and wit the help of CarbCleaner it fired right up and ran without the choke on. Rough, but running... I came down with a cold/flu suddenly overnight, so not much work on it today... have tried to start it since, and it won't start, even with a little help from gas or carbCleaner.. seems odd at this point, but doesn't seem to be getting any spark I guess... check the new plug I had put in and all seems ok there... so back to the drawing board... probably going to stay home from work sick again tomorrow, so may try to take a little look at it... thanks

#604850 - 05/05/10 07:28 PM Re: 5hp Briggs and Stratton will not keep running... [Re: rqualls]
rqualls Offline

One quick question. The little black wire that connects to the linkage assembly: Is that simply a ground wire or a kill switch contact? I just started wandering if maybe after replacing the carb and assembly for the 5th time, that it is making contact when it shouldn't or not when it should.. causing me to not be getting a spark???
Thanks for all the help !!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Bob_Q, CabinConnection, Ernie 

Experts | Email Us | Disclaimer | HandymanWire home
Articles | We welcome your feedback. | Privacy
http://www.handymanwire.com
Handyman Wire
your resource for advice on home improvement and repairs.
Copyright 2014, Handyman USA LLC.
All rights reserved.